Youth Conference 1972
Dene . . . my roommate. This year was different than other conferences because we stayed in the dorms at Montana State University. I was so planning on having some fun. However, as I was leaving home and on my way out the door, my father said, "Listen to your chaperones and don't give them any trouble." Who me? So, when Dene and Jacki decide to sneak out of the dorms one night, what am I doing? Yep, stayed back at the dorm. Man! I was so obedient. Dene, what did I miss out on? Besides a good time.
Patti . . . with Brother and Sister Lamb, our youth advisors. I do remember Dale and I traveling to Billings with them for a youth conference planning meeting. Does that mean we were the youth representatives that year?
George . . . "Hmmm -- where are the hot babes?"
The Family Album Singers, a traveling group of missionaries, performed at the conference.
One of their group was blind . . . amazing.
Kim . . . The rest of you will have to fill in the gaps of my memory. Not much stood out in my mind about this conference because no guys even gave me a second (or first?) look. Maybe because I was still in my dorm room.
4 comments:
I remember many things about this Youth Conference, but I don't remember Jacki and I sneaking out. I just didn't do those things. George was in a pie-eating contest. Not sure if he won. Our guest speaker at the Saturday Dinner and then again on Sunday was W. Cleon Skousen. Saturday night he was hilarious as he talked about boys, calling the 16 year old boy a B-T-O, or Big Time Operator. He was very entertaining. His book, "So You Want To Raise Boys" was one of my first purchases at the Ricks Book Store.
This was when we found out South Dakota was experiening serious flooding, right where we had been for Youth Conference the year before. New friends we made weren't sure they had homes to go back to.
George did meet a girl, who later brought her parents to meet him (Way too early for those plan), That day, before she and her family got to the Rahlf's I had to make sure the house was clean and there was something ready to eat. George stayed on the tractor all day up in the hills plowing something with nothing but his boxers on - trying to get a tan. Then he took them to a play at the Fort Peck Theatre - the girl and her parents, that is (and maybe some fresh boxers)
I thought that would be my last Youth Conference, but fast forward about 32 years and I'm back again. I was one of those Adult Chaperones. Now I do remember sneaking out with our kids and our Branch President to get ice cream in the middle of the night. I was pretty nervous about that.
.
Wow, Dene, I had no idea you were so involved and connected to the Rahlf family! As long as you are around, George won't have to worry about losing those memories. Fun story. Also, BTW, if you don't remember leaving the dorm room after curfew, then I must not have missed out on anything. That's my story and ...
ya know I went to that Youth Conference...... but I can't prove it :(
Yes, Kim, I felt connected to the Rahlf family. I worked in the garden some and then Sister Rahlf decided I should be the "housekeeper." So I cleaned house and did a little cooking and helped customers that would drive up. George was the best little brother I never had. He seemed to get pleasure in teasing and aggravating me (and I did the same to him), but was always a good friend.
Post a Comment