Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Did you know . . .

. . . that today is the birthday of the Speeding Ticket? In 1899 New York cabdriver Jacob German was arrested for speeding and received the first speeding ticket. He was going 12 mph at the time! Celebrate by slowing down.

O.k. you speed demons -- what's the most you have paid for a speeding ticket? Did you have a good excuse or story for the cop? Have you ever talked your way out of a ticket?

Am I the only one that automatically taps the brakes or lifts off the accelerator when I see a police car sitting on the side of the road . . . even if I'm not speeding? Does your blood pressure take a hike?

We're allowed to go 5 miles over the limit, right? I have only had one speeding ticket when I was 40 something, and it was a result of peer pressure from Kaymee to get up to Utah faster so she could start playing sooner. Don't you just hate to hear the siren or see the lights flashing? What a way to ruin a perfectly good day!

5 comments:

Heather G. said...

I'm a friend of a friend, maybe you know Trisha Frey and I got your blog off of Pale Princess...anyhoo, I liked your blog and thought I'd tell so! And yes, cops freak me out on the side of the road too!!!

Kim said...

FYI ... the Pale Princess is Tracy's daughter, Janell. It's amazing where Blog hoppin will take you!

Dene said...

Years ago while living in Minneapolis, I was traveling home to surprise Mom & Pop. I traveled through Minnesota and North Dakota without incident - think I actually "drafted" on a semi and was sailing along. Then not far from the house I got pulled over by a Montana State Trooper. He gave me a ticket, but said if I paid five or ten dollars that would take care of it. I was so poor, I didn't have any money. So he followed me all the way to the house, remember we lived about a mile off the highway. Imagine my mother's surprise when I showed up, with the law. She gave him cash money and he was off. Years later I read that they really did that in Montana - not that I thought the Trooper was just getting cash for his pocket.

Kim said...

Dene ... so if the trooper wasn't padding his pocket, which was it $5 OR $10? LOL Or was he thinking about where he wanted to eat for dinner? I always thought that was odd, but convenient, that you could take care of your tickets that way on MT roads.

Kim said...

Update -- All these years I thought my lack of speeding tickets was due to being a conservative, law-abiding citizen. Now I know it is linked to the car.

I had an Infiniti G-35 sports coupe for a loaner car. Never before have I felt like I was part of a vehicle. It fit my body perfectly. The pick up off the line left me knowing I could easily get tickets if I owned it. Guess it's a good thing I only had it for a day.