Friday, May 1, 2009

55 Chevy

. . . Just shootin' the breeze in a different time -- in a different world.



"Have you seen the new cars coming out next year? It won't be long before $2,000 will only buy a used one."

"I'll tell you one thing, if things keep going the way they are, it's going to be impossible to buy a week's groceries for $20.00."

"When I first started driving, who would have thought gas would someday cost 29 cents a gallon. Guess we'd be better off leaving the car in the garage."

"Did you see where some baseball player just signed a contract for $79,000 a year just to play ball? It wouldn't surprise me if someday they'll be making more than the President."

"It's too bad things are so tough nowadays. I see where a few married women are having to work to make ends meet."

"I'm afraid the Volkswagen car is going to open the door to a whole lot of foreign business."

"Thank goodness I won't live to see the day when the Government takes half our income in taxes. I sometimes wonder if we are electing the best people to Congress."

"The drive-in restaurant is convenient in nice weather, but I seriously doubt it will ever catch on."

"No one can afford to be sick anymore, at $35.00 day in the hospital, it's too rich for my blood."

"If they think I will pay 50 cents for a haircut, forget it."

2 comments:

Kim said...

Something that may have been unique to Glasgow was their Wednesday "take a chance" night at the theatre. You paid 50 cents and were surprised at what movie they chose -- always appropriate for all audiences. Did we pay 10 cents or was it a quarter for the Saturday matinee, complete with war clips before the show started.

When I was in junior high (hopefully not high school) my mom and I decided to go to the Take a Chance. That's all fine, but the only car left at the house was my brother's red Corvette--convertible. And my mother had a favorite black floral simple house dress that she wore quite often, and that night. I so hoped no guy I liked would see me sporting along in that scenario. But, alas and woe, yes I did. In looking back I felt bad that I had those feelings of embarrassment. I'm sure it was just a phase. Since I was never a "cool" mom, I am sure I have provided my kids with many a moment to remember--and still do!

Dene said...

I may have been in 8th grade, but one particular birthday my mom took Debbie Nass, Nancy Amundson and I to the movie for Take A Chance night. We all piled in the back of her green pickup and she dropped us off. We didn't plan on meeting anyone...but that was the night that Mike Opheim sat by me and held my hand during the movie. He could have sat by anyone, but he chose me. But the best part was it was a John Wayne movie, Hellfighters. Ever since that has been one of my very favorite John Wayne movies. By the way, nothing came of that hand holding, but it sure made my birthday special.