Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Did you know . . .

. . . that today is Sunscreen Day? Sunscreen Day educates and brings awareness to the importance of using sunscreens to protect yourself and your children from harmful sun UV rays. So be sure to get plenty of sunscreen for the coming summer sun. Celebrate Sunscreen Day in the sun . . . with your sunscreen protection!

I remember on one of my summer trips to AZ, I thought I would get a jump start on the Glasgow girls by sporting a tan on my return. Jacki and I went to a place called Lake Pleasant. I remember the name because it was anything but that. It was blistering hot and we couldn't get in the water because schools of tiny fish (probably piranhas) kept attacking us when we tried to go in. I renamed it Fish Lake.



I got the worst sunburn ever, but still thought "well maybe, there will be some tan left under it." Wrong! When I got home my skin peeled off in sheets leaving the same white skin as before. I guess it was like frying up a piece of meat. Try that up against the double knit polyester dresses we wore back then. yOWsa!
There are benefits of staying out of the sun, though. When I am 80, I will look 79!

(Since I don't know if Jacki even reads these blog posts, I'm posting this picture of her and not one of me :)

1 comment:

Heather G. said...

I had no idea it was sunscreen day! I never leave home without it! Thanks for the info!