Where does the term "redneck" come from? And NO cheating by Google-ing it!The farmer tans came out to swim on the Fourth and so did the topic of Rednecks. At first I thought it was because of farmers and their sunburned necks. Then I remembered something back from the cowboy days when they wore their red bandannas around their necks, doubling as a way to keep the dust out of their faces OR to hide their identity when robbing a bank.
But, no, I was wrong on both accounts. Brian, who knows just about everything, clued us in to the real origin. I will let you guess, first.
Enjoy your summer . . . Redneck style












2 comments:
O.K. according to Brian's Senior History class teachings: During the Civil war there was a battalion from the South that used cheap dye to dye their white shirts and handkerchiefs red. When they began to sweat, the color bled off on to their necks. There are a few explanations, but I like this because it explains why redneck is attached to a certain locale. Why it has evolved to the one today -- dunno.
If you ever grew up in any small town, I think you have a little "hick" or "redneck" in you. I have caught myself saying "I might could do that."
I think we all have a little redneck in each of us!
Post a Comment