

I learned about Girls' Camp when I was working with the Young Women. Never remembered us doing this back in the day. I do have memories of a camping trip at Ft. Peck, all our sleeping bags, guys' and girls', lined up outside. There was a cabin, because I can see George coming out - wearing my swimming suit!!! I also remember the guys, experienced scouts that they were, telling us girls we shouldn't sleep with our clothes on for some reason - either we would get too hot or too cold, or whatever.
While Kim, Ruth, Jacki and the others are at girls' camp I am a freshman at Ricks College. At registration I was persuaded by a Lt. Col. in the Air Force to take his ROTC class. Two compelling reasons for taking the class, it was a full PE credit instead of a half credit like other PE classes, and he assured me it was the one class at Ricks that would have more boys than girls enrolled.
In November 1972 the ROTC classes from Idaho State University and Ricks College were going to have a joint training exercise with the Green Beret and the Montana National Guard in the mountains outside Helena. Girls were encouraged to sign up because when soldiers train people in other countries there would be women to be trained. I know that at least 15 girls signed up, but the day we were supposed to leave I was the only one there. This is how naive/stupid I was - I wouldn't get on the bus because I didn't want to be the only girl!!! Finally the Lt. Col. got another girl to come - so there were two girls and 30+ ROTC cadets and the National Guard and the Green Beret!!!
Girls were not supposed to get any special treatment, but I can tell you we were catered to and cared for by all those guys. We worked as hard as they did, hiking, carrying our packs, and I'm proud to say I kept up with them, even double-time with a pack on my back. Couldn't hardly breath for a while after that, but. . .
I was voted "Female Cadet of the Month" for Idaho State University. With that honor I was to pick one of the guys to take me out, but I said I can't just pick one (stupidity again), so the Lt. Col. sent one, or he says he volunteered - and he came to Rexburg and we had a very nice evening. After I told everyone how much fun the trip was we didn't have any problem with girls and others signing up for weekend ROTC activities - but that was the only camping trip that semester.
1 comment:
Who knew this? Way to go Dene Rae! Yes, and why were you shaking in your boots at being the only female on a bus of 30+ guys. You still couldn't pick ONE guy out of that group for a date? :)
And George, I'm learning what a goofball you were or I forgot you were. Tana did confirm with me that we spent a couple of nights sleeping out at that Pines cabin. Of course the skinny dipping occurred when it was a girls night only. You can't fault a guy for trying, though.
Post a Comment