Thursday, January 22, 2009

Store Bought Clothes






Stupid catalog.



I got this card for my 50th birthday and loved it! Shopping in Glasgow was very limited, and we had to resort to the Penneys catalog or sewing our own clothes--Of course there were the "popular" kids who went out of town for their clothes or shopped at Adrians.

In looking back at some of our pictures, I can't believe we were wearing those styles in High School.

I picked this snapshot, not for our photogenicity, but for a small sampling of our dresses. Wings seemed to very popular then. Seriously though, my jumper looks like something a grade school girl would wear.

Mini skirts (fingertip length) were "in" junior high. How did anyone bend over to get a drink of water or to pick up a pencil? Plus our building was three floors, so lots of stairs to go up and down -- you probably get the picture. The hems started coming down to the floor in high school and everyone had a "maxi" (no wings) coat.

I still continued to sew my dresses at Ricks college -- we all did, even our formal ones. At the end of my second year I had just enough $ for the last 2 weeks of food, but I decided to spend it on some material. So for those two weeks, I hardly ate anything, and then only potatoes were left. When I no longer had butter to put on my potatoes, I ate them plain. How great it was when one of my dates that week took me to dinner!!

After graduating from BYU, it was so fabulous to walk into a store and start buying some "store bought" dresses -- never mind if they were $60.00+ . Today, I am back to ordering online from catalogs 'cause I'm a buyer, not a shopper.

3 comments:

Dene said...

I know just how the lady feels in this card. I've had that same problem. As far as sewing our own clothes, I thought we were very stylish. In court reporting school a bunch of us were going to Amarillo, TX to watch the trial of millionaire T. Cullen Davis who was being represented by Racehorse Haynes. I made a dress to wear and then 2 of my girlfriends, who didn't sew, wanted the same dress - so we had different colors, but the same dress. Looked like a girl singing group. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I don't have a picture of that.

Dene said...

George, do you remember the nightshirt I made for you when you had to have surgery after your mission? I worked hard and fast on that so you could have it in the hospital. You were gracious enough to put it on - but I think it was kind of a Fred Flintstone animal print...probably pretty ugly. Thanks for not laughing. You grew up so much on your mission. The old George would have something funny to say to me. (I missed the old George sometimes.)

Kim said...

Being a former Stake President may have refined some of that youthful exuberance, but I am sure George still has his wit intact and is fun to be around.