

After all these years I feel it is time for the truth to be heard.The Christmas break of December 1971-January 1972 ranks up there as one of the best Christmas holidays of my youth. It seemed that Kim, Tana, Tom, Dave, George and I were constantly together, enjoying good food, fun and company. There were wild games of Twister inside and Duck, Duck, Goose outside. The "Mystery Dinner" that Sister Bailey orchestrated was wonderful. Even used it a couple of years ago as a Combined Activity for our Youth in my Branch.
But it is New Year's Eve that I want to tell you about. We were at the Latimers' playing games (the one with cards and a bell, but I can't think of the name), when the phone rang after 12:00 midnight. It was Sister Rahlf calling to tell George the basketball coach had called - the players had a curfew - and he needed to come home right away. George and I both left, as I was his chauffeur and had to give him a ride home. After that night we probably had a few more days of fun before classes started again.
The first day of school I was talking to Coach Stahl who had made the call on New Year's Eve. I thanked him for not giving George a hard time for not being home when he called. Well - he didn't know George wasn't there!!! Coach had called the house, asked for George and evidently Sister Rahlf proceeded to tell him George was downstairs in bed and she wasn't going all the way down there to wake him up. Can't you just hear her?! Not wanting to argue with or push Sister Rahlf, he said thank you and hung up.
Oh, no!!! Imagine how mortified I was - George would hate me - because those that had broken curfew would be disciplined - and I had just busted George!!! I pleaded with the coach (I'm sure there were even tears involved), punish me, not George. Guess what - he took me up on it and I had to run laps in the afternoon that week so George wouldn't have to.
And now - as Paul Harvey says - you know the rest of the story.
3 comments:
Busted!! And it wasn't even your fault! What a good friend, but I am surprised the coach still made you pay. What a blessing it was to have the Latimer and then the Aurich families move into our little branch out in the middle of nowhere. They brought so much fun with them. Thanks Dene for sharing!
Dene and Gang!!
Oh Man... I am so busted!!! Although I would have been better off to run laps from my coach than have to deal with my mother for the next month!! As you know, she was relentless!!
Dene, I'm sorry you had to run my laps... I still owe you!
It was just because i was having so much fun with all of you that night to even worry about my basketball curfew!
George
George, your mother knew about me running the laps. I told her years later and we laughed about it when I would visit with her in Billings. Not much got past that woman.
Post a Comment