Saturday, January 3, 2009

Mystery Menu Dinner

January 3, 1972

In looking over my photo album, I have a lot of pictures of us sitting at a table eating! I guess good food and good times go together. This "funny" dinner was orchestrated by my mother. The menus were made from the comics and the dinner items were disguised. We ordered 3 items for 2 different courses and each course had to be eaten before the next one was served . . . which means we could have ended up with food, but no utensils to eat it with. Fun! The menu:
guillotine
noise maker
lover's lane
exuberant thespian
popeye's pick
HIJKLMNO
hay maker
snow or sun on the mountain
George's specialty
frigid hash
last straw
golden rod
make coins
the birthday delight
dracula's special
npknia
gold in a pillow
over the moon
I didn't crop this picture because I wanted you to see the fancy ceiling lamp and the mistletoe hanging in the hallway. My mom always put that up. Not sure how well used it was -- although we did have some crushes/romances within our big group :)


(pictured l to r: Kim, George, Dave, Tana, Tom, and Dene)
Two things about this picture: (1) I have more than one picture of George lying on top of us. Were we his loyal subjects, or what? (2) Can you dig on those decorative drapes that were lingering from the 60's?

1 comment:

Dene said...

I have pictures and memories from the same dinner. Still have my "menu" mounted in the Sunday funnies. The 1971 Christmas school break was the BEST. I think we were together most of the time those two weeks.