At first I thought this might be hard, couldn't think of any embarrassing moment. Then I thought of many, but couldn't share them - didn't want to relive that moment. But as I looked at pictures it came to me. June of 1972, Jeff Markle was leaving on his mission. A group of us went to the drive-in, I think. We were all in the back of a pickup truck, maybe my Mom's green GMC. I was scooting around in the bed of the truck and ripped a hole in my pants and cut my bottom. Lucky for me, I had a coat that was long enough to cover the damage.
I had had a crush on Jeff for years and was so embarrassed - didn't realize how bad the cut was until I got home. Probably have a scar.
Step back. . .
Who knew that when Mark and Ruth taught us the Swing at Mutual that it would be something I would use for years to come. Loved it. Toe, heel, toe, heel, step back.
Moments to treasure. . .
January of 1996 we purchased 4 plane tickets from Pensacola, Florida to Salt Lake City for a grand total of $412. Couldn't beat that price. The tickets were for the second week in April. With some Divine intervention (and overbooked flights) we were rerouted directly to Bozeman. Pop had been very sick. Barry, Whitney (who is named after Pop), Cody and I were able to spend some quality time with Pop and were there to help Mom with the funeral arrangements. It was the first time I had ever seen Pop in church. The chapel was filled to overflowing with cowboys. The funeral was perfect, from the horse blanket on the casket, to Vince Gill's song "Go Rest High On That Mountain", to the cows and horses grazing close by the grave. It was a special and memorable farewell to a remarkable man.
1 comment:
I remember that drive-in night -- I don't think youth today enjoy as much creative fun as we did!
What a wonderful "tender mercy" you received with your pop. The four months before my father passed away, he was blessed to see everyone who were or had been important to him. He died in his sleep the night of July 4th -- appropriate for a patriot and civic leader. (His father and sister also died on the 4th -- the other sister wanted to, but she was two weeks late:) He was an old cowboy too, and my mom had a rope and some barbed wire designed into his casket spray.
Post a Comment