Let's fast foward from the earlier post - or flash back from today, to Ricks 73-74. This is Karen Hadlock. She was a neighbor my first year at Ricks, and for some reason, the silly girl wanted to be my roommate the next year.
This is Jacki Doty. I was so excited for Jacki to be my roommate, because then she wouldn't have to experience what I did my first year, not knowing anyone. Of course, she did have Dave, but she had me too. She was my "Freshman contribution" to the mix. Lucky girl!!?? Just a note on the picture, I think we were taking pictures of each other because I have one of me just like this. Of course it's not near as good, because. . .well, there isn't a bad picture of Jacki.
This is the "Freshman contribution" of Karen. She was the little sister of some of Karen's roommates that had moved on to BYU. Her name WAS Teri, but we already had a Terri that was older than her, so she HAD to change her name. She became Tybee, and it really worked well with her.
This is the Terri Cornell. She was a neighbor my first year and wanted to be my roommate the next year. Another silly girl. But she was really smart, on FULL scholarship to Ricks. I was hoping some of those smarts would rub off on me.
Terri's "Freshman contribution" was Lynell Porritt, a friend of her's from home. Lynell was a mothering, nurturing roommate. Maybe that's why she didn't last but one semester at Ricks. She got engaged!!! Here I am working on my MRS degree and this little thing gets a man before Christmas. What class was she taking!! Where do I sign up!! I was channeling my inner Connie Francis, singing "Where the boys are, someone waits for me." Really, seriously, I think my roommates and I did lip-sync that for a Branch party.
Here is another shot of Jacki. She was so shy - NOT. She was just fun. Did I mention, that was a requirement to live with us - you had to be willing to have fun.
Well, with Lynell leaving we took applications and held auditions for our new roommate. Everyone wanted to live with us. We had the best group - Relief Society president, a member of the Homecoming Court, a member of the Ballroom Dance team, a super-smart-straight-A student and me. My roommates pretty much gave me whatever I wanted, probably because they felt sorry I wasn't having any luck with a man -- and I wanted Donna.
Do you remember Donna from the earlier post? She was one of my "Freshman 10" but had taken the semester off. I loved Donna, and it didn't take long for everyone else to fall in love with her too.
This is Donna's birthday shower. We were wild and crazy.
We did everything together - I can see at least three of us in this picture and one had to have the feet and one had the camera. Animal house, Ricks' style. Did I mention we had lots of fun??
This was April 2, 1974. I know that because it was my birthday. It was also parents' week at Ricks, but none of our parents could come.
So we invited the wives of our Branch President and his counselors. Here they are watching the action from the couch. Silly Terri is wearing a blouse my roommates gave me for my birthday, thinking that will save her from. . .
Donna tried to get the best of me - it's a water fight!!!!
Or is it? I'm not sure who threw the flour in her face, but again, we were wild and crazy
Speaking of where the boys are, this is part of the famous Ricks College Rodeo team. They were in our College Branch and some were part of our Family Home Evening group. I had a crush on one of them, but he was shy and I don't have any pictures of him. You should remember this little bit of trivia for a future post.
So let me recap: I met Karen and Terri my first year at Ricks. We decided to be roommate the next year. We each had a Freshman that was coming, Tybee, Lynell and Jacki. Lynell left at Christmas and Donna moved in.
Top: Jacki. Middle: Terri & Tybee. Bottom: Karen, Dene & Donna.
Thanks to all of these wonderful ladies for making my second year at Ricks the best ever. But wait, there's more to come. Tune in again.
This is Jacki Doty. I was so excited for Jacki to be my roommate, because then she wouldn't have to experience what I did my first year, not knowing anyone. Of course, she did have Dave, but she had me too. She was my "Freshman contribution" to the mix. Lucky girl!!?? Just a note on the picture, I think we were taking pictures of each other because I have one of me just like this. Of course it's not near as good, because. . .well, there isn't a bad picture of Jacki.
This is the "Freshman contribution" of Karen. She was the little sister of some of Karen's roommates that had moved on to BYU. Her name WAS Teri, but we already had a Terri that was older than her, so she HAD to change her name. She became Tybee, and it really worked well with her.
This is the Terri Cornell. She was a neighbor my first year and wanted to be my roommate the next year. Another silly girl. But she was really smart, on FULL scholarship to Ricks. I was hoping some of those smarts would rub off on me.
Terri's "Freshman contribution" was Lynell Porritt, a friend of her's from home. Lynell was a mothering, nurturing roommate. Maybe that's why she didn't last but one semester at Ricks. She got engaged!!! Here I am working on my MRS degree and this little thing gets a man before Christmas. What class was she taking!! Where do I sign up!! I was channeling my inner Connie Francis, singing "Where the boys are, someone waits for me." Really, seriously, I think my roommates and I did lip-sync that for a Branch party.
Here is another shot of Jacki. She was so shy - NOT. She was just fun. Did I mention, that was a requirement to live with us - you had to be willing to have fun.
Well, with Lynell leaving we took applications and held auditions for our new roommate. Everyone wanted to live with us. We had the best group - Relief Society president, a member of the Homecoming Court, a member of the Ballroom Dance team, a super-smart-straight-A student and me. My roommates pretty much gave me whatever I wanted, probably because they felt sorry I wasn't having any luck with a man -- and I wanted Donna.
Do you remember Donna from the earlier post? She was one of my "Freshman 10" but had taken the semester off. I loved Donna, and it didn't take long for everyone else to fall in love with her too.
This is Donna's birthday shower. We were wild and crazy.
We did everything together - I can see at least three of us in this picture and one had to have the feet and one had the camera. Animal house, Ricks' style. Did I mention we had lots of fun??
This was April 2, 1974. I know that because it was my birthday. It was also parents' week at Ricks, but none of our parents could come.
So we invited the wives of our Branch President and his counselors. Here they are watching the action from the couch. Silly Terri is wearing a blouse my roommates gave me for my birthday, thinking that will save her from. . .
Donna tried to get the best of me - it's a water fight!!!!
Or is it? I'm not sure who threw the flour in her face, but again, we were wild and crazy
Speaking of where the boys are, this is part of the famous Ricks College Rodeo team. They were in our College Branch and some were part of our Family Home Evening group. I had a crush on one of them, but he was shy and I don't have any pictures of him. You should remember this little bit of trivia for a future post.
So let me recap: I met Karen and Terri my first year at Ricks. We decided to be roommate the next year. We each had a Freshman that was coming, Tybee, Lynell and Jacki. Lynell left at Christmas and Donna moved in.
Top: Jacki. Middle: Terri & Tybee. Bottom: Karen, Dene & Donna.Thanks to all of these wonderful ladies for making my second year at Ricks the best ever. But wait, there's more to come. Tune in again.
2 comments:
Okay, so maybe I got the words mixed up and they should be under the pictures, but I'm still learning. How long can I use that excuse? By the way, no animals were hurt or injured in the making of these pictures.
I was lucky enough to have Jacki and Tybee as roommates my first year. I benefitted from the guys that came to see Jacki. :) Good memories.
Post a Comment