Did you ever skip school? What did you do?Because I only had one pair of goody two shoes which I constantly wore, I never skipped school. Why would I? One -- there was nothing going on in my little hometown of Glasgow. Two -- all my friends were in school. As an Honor student, it would have been very easy to do, though. We were issued a school pass and with that were not required to attend study hall nor did we have to sign out to leave school.
My, my, how things have changed. Now there is an (un)official Senior Ditch Day. For those students who show up to school that day wearing their goody-two shoes, teachers provide them with busywork for extra credit. Sounds like a win-win for everyone.
If that had been the case when I was in high school, I would have joined in, but we never needed a senior skip day. Our graduating seniors always got the last week off from school. WooHoo!
BTW . . . Goody Two-Shoes is a variation of the Cinderella story. The fable tells of Goody Two-Shoes, the nickname of a poor orphan girl named Margery Meanwell, who goes through life with only one shoe. When she is given a complete pair by a rich gentleman, she is so happy that she tells everyone that she has "two shoes". Later, Margery becomes a teacher and marries a rich widower. This earning of wealth serves as proof that her virtuousness has been rewarded, a popular theme in children's literature of the era.
3 comments:
I had an honor pass, too. My friends and I would go to Mary's Cafe a couple of times a week during study hall. Remember we had to have a "note" from our parents if we missed school. Well, I would always forget, so I just got my friend Carrie to write my note. Thinking they might compare penmanship I never had my mom write the note - just told her I would get Carrie to do it for me. She was fine with that. I was a bit of a goody two-shoes myself, so Mom trusted me. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't perfect, but...
I must say, not proudly or course, that I was the Queen of Skipping School. I however, grew up in Orange County, CA and there was never a lack of something to do. I skipped school to go to the beach, Disneyland (it only cost $21 for residents back then) but mostly just to hang out with my friends who unfortunately didn't have a 5th class like I did. We had a closed campus and it wasn't easy to escape--but I somehow did. Those were some fun times. I must say, if I could turn back time I would borrow your pair of goody two shoes in a heartbeat and do it differently. C'est la vie.....
Dene -- trust goes a long way, but sometimes my parents trusted me more than they should have.
Emily -- I've heard about your truancy days. I found out today your downfall was due to a "Yellow" friend. They are very hard to resist, but so much fun!
Post a Comment