Monday, December 21, 2009

Season's Greetings

Christmas Tradition #4 . . . Do you send out Christmas cards?

Did you know . . . Henry Cole created the first Christmas cards in 1842. It was his solution to having too many Christmas messages to write by hand. It was a marriage of art and technology. Sir Henry—often referred to in the press as “Old King Cole”—commissioned artist John Calcott Horsley to paint a card showing the feeding and clothing of the poor. A center panel displayed a happy family embracing one another, sipping wine and enjoying the festivities.

The first Christmas card's inscription read: "merry Christmas and a happy New Year to you." "Merry" was then a spiritual word meaning "blessed," as in "merry old England." Of the original one thousand cards printed for Henry Cole, twelve exist today in private collections.


My organized mess . . .

My husband wanted to send out more than the usual this year -- 125. Jeez Louise!

1 . . . Do you send out cards? A letter only? Cards

2 . . . Do you include a handwritten note, a picture, a brag letter? I pretty much just sign our name now with maybe a little phrase. With my children grown, I no longer send out the newsy letter of what's been going on. Some years there isn't anything to brag -- I mean comment on. I would love to get an honest, yet witty, letter sometime from someone recounting what a crappy -- I mean challenging year they had. Pictures are always appreciated and are included whenever we look good.

3 . . . Who do you send them to? Family and my favorite people. If we have a family picture taken, I dig deeper into my address book.

4 . . . Do you add and delete names from "the list" every year? Every so many years

5 . . . Do you feel obligated to send a card to someone when they send one to you? No, and hope they don't either.

Enjoy this week! -- Once again we find ourselves enmeshed in the Holiday Season, that very special time of year when we join with our loved ones in sharing centuries-old traditions such as trying to find a parking space at the mall. We traditionally do this in my family by driving around the parking lot until we see a shopper emerge from the mall, then we follow her, in very much the same spirit as the Three Wise Men, who 2,000 years ago followed a star, week after week, until it led them to a parking space. ~~ Dave Barry

2 comments:

Tana said...

So did you like my Christmas leter Kim? No bragging, just life and insights.

Kim said...

I did enjoy it -- now that you finally sent it to me :) If we don't learn from life's lessons, then what's the point. You know the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result. Well, Duh. Now if I can just keep from taking the same test I had recently that I only passed with a D- grade.