. . . that today is New Year's Eve in many countries? In 1904, the New Year's ball dropped for the first time in Times Square, New York City. In Japan, everyone laughs at the stroke of midnight to ensure good luck in the New Year. In the Philippines, children jump ten times when the clock strikes twelve, hoping to grow taller in the new year. In Mexico, some people take out their suitcases and walk around the block,hoping it would help them travel during the next year.
What do you do on New Year's Eve?
We usually don't do diddly. But tonight I decided to plan a get-together with friends. We're going to see the movie Sherlock Holmes. I'm reading some Sherlock books this year and wanted to get in the spirit of it all. We told our friends not to go see it yet, but they did and want to see it again. Yay! Then we will come back to our house for a tamale dinner and games. Have a great New Year and may you see the fulfilment of at least one of your hopes and dreams.
"The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails." ~~ John Maxwell
5 comments:
For years it was just me and Dick Clark. Then the kids joined me. Barry is not much of a night owl. Then several years ago some friends planned a New Year's Eve bonfire - at our house. That may have been the second time I saw Barry awake at midnight on December 31. We have had bonfires since then, but sometimes it's too wet. Tonight we are going to spend some time with friends, ordering pizza and may play some Uno or Phase 10. Barry doesn't eat pizza, so he's made a HUGE pot of oyster stew to share. It is delicious - I had to make sure it was okay to take. My contribution is a Snowball Cake. Have no idea how it will taste, but it looks good. Saw Sherlock Holmes last week. I liked it.
One of my hopes and dreams is to see all of you in the new year. Have a safe and joyous new year.
Hey Kim! Happy New Year! Nice to see your comment on my blog the other day. I have to say this and your other blog are fabulous. I know this one is for your high school friends and I don't want to butt in, and I won't in the future......but since I don't have your e-mail, I didn't know how else to thank you. Hope we can keep in touch.
cros@beyondbb.com.
Louise, you can butt in anytime. My other friends don't read this :), except Dene, of course. I don't only talk about old times.
I'm not married to a night owl either. Dene, your bonfires sound like fun! We do have a tiny fire pit--I'm sure not quite the same thing. If your snowball cake tasted good, let's hear about it.
See you in July!! For sure.
Dell had to work, so I took fireworks from our trip to Wyoming, 2 glasses and a bottle of Martinellis non alcoholic carbonated grape juice,and stole him away from work for 30 min.We stood across from the beautifully lit capial building, overlooking the Salt Lake Valley, and just above the building that we were married in down in the Memory Grove. It was clear and a nice temperature for Utah.WE kissed each other,toasted in the New Year, lit illegal fireworks, and watched the legal fireworks being set off down below. Our tast for this year was to good health,finances, and lots of snogging! Happy New year all!
Post a Comment