"No lapse of time or distance of space can lessen the friendship of those who are truly persuaded of each other's worth." -- Unknown
I got braces my senior year, so from then on it was my "pleasant look".
Two weeks ago I saw Paula Draxton. It has been 35 years. At the reunion Diane said she would try and get Paula down to Vegas with her if Gonzaga was in the B-ball conference tournament. You never know if you will recognize each other after so many years, but she hasn't changed a bit -- only shorter hair. What fun! We were as loud as school girls in our greeting, and we both brought the same picture above.
Our husbands tagged along to dinner at Dos Caminos at the Palazzo Tower at the Venetian. We unexpectedly received complimentary appetizers and dessert -- I'm guessing because it was one of Clayton's accounts. Nice. You would never know it was a Mexican place by the modern decor, younger crowd, and a wall of small, subtle skulls.
It's always nice to have friends that you can pick up with again as though no time had passed at all. (I discovered that Brian Furhman brought a smile to more than one young girl's face.) "The most beautiful discovery that true friends can make is that they can grow separately without growing apart." -- Elizabeth Foley
See Diane smile now that she has all those gifts! Those poor roses they gave out to us sure didn't hold up long. My friend on the right is Gail Hagen. We were inseparable at school, but only saw each other at sporting events on the weekends as she lived out at Ft. Peck. Gail still lives in Glasgow, and I always make it a point to visit her at the Bank the few times I get back home. She hasn't changed a bit -- just shorter hair. (Do you see a pattern here?)
This was a dinner at Diane's house -- Is this the summer of'75 or '76? Not sure what Patti was trying to accomplish with her curly afro. Diane, who were those other guys?
Someone else we might have socialized more with was Sonya, but Greg totally monopolized her time. I haven't seen her since this day, and I have no idea where she is . . . I remember she was always so meticulous with her hair. Perfectly parted and in place -- always.
My other friend I am waiting to see is my grade-school friend Jane. She and Paula actually correspond by, get this -- written letters!!! I'm told Jane looks stunning. Me? I'm sporting the Freshman 15. Or is it that camera again?"Money might make you wealthy, but friends make you rich."
I am eternally grateful for these outstanding friends. They weren't LDS, but you wouldn't know it. Diane managed to be in the "popular" group and then still be a part of our lives, too . . . the next step down the social hierarchy. I count them as some of the greatest blessings of my youth.

No comments:
Post a Comment