Thursday, June 25, 2009

You've come along way Baby!

We interrupt your regularly scheduled programming for the latest Did you know . . .

. . . that today is the birthday of the first Color TV broadcast? On June 25, 1951, CBS broadcast the first color TV program, a one-hour special broadcast to four cities. Few consumers, however, had color TVs to watch it on yet, but only the beginning of things to come. Watch a little something on the boob tube, today :)

Do you remember when you first got a color TV set? This is what I remember our television looking like. I LOVE TV!! It was definitely a member of our household. Our dining table was in the family room, along with the TV, and we had it on during dinner time (Horrors!). I would eat and laugh while watching Laugh In. My dad would always watch the soaps The Young and the Restless and The Doctors on his lunch hour. Some after school favorites were The Brady Bunch, I Dream of Jeannie, The Partridge Family, Gilligans Island, Leave it to Beaver . . . evening programming wasn't complete without Johnny Carson, the best. On Saturdays I remember Johnny Quest, Underdog, Fireball XL5 . . . Sunday evenings always included Bonanza, for sure.

I never stayed up to watch Saturday Night Live, but clearly was missing some funny stuff as I would hear kids at school always talking about the latest episode. I wonder if that is where George got some of his funny material.




Today you can find a television in every room. Even in the bathroom -- just ask Tim Taylor, the Tool Man. Plasma TVs are now 4 1/2 inches deep. Amazing to see the advancements in technology. And now the world of computers and cyberspace. It still blows my mind (one of those fuddy duddy funky phrases). How do we have all that knowledge at our fingertips? Where does all that info come from? Have you ever been able to stump Mr. Google?

The downside? TV programming isn't what it used to be. Very few good shows to watch, too much reality going on, and there hasn't been a great family sitcom (situation comedy) since Home Improvement. Does this mean the family is disappearing as well? I read a lot more books now than I used to.

I will admit to two things: One . . . I HAVE to have at least 30 minutes (or more) to wind down before bedtime. But I refuse to have a TV in my bedroom. And Two . . . Cate and I get a total kick out of watching That 70's Show. Been there, done that (well not all of it). Judge us if you will.

1 comment:

Heather G. said...

What a great post! Yup, I'm still a kid since I grew up with color TVs in every room and cannot even relate to that 70s show despite thinking it's really hilarious. And I completely agree with you about no great family sitcoms since Home Improvement. Everybody Loves Raymond came close, though. I don't even watch sitcoms anymore. Well, The Office here and there.