Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Campin' out . . .

(Yes -- I love, love, loved that yellow coat. Was still wearing it here, six years later at the end of my BYU days.)

. . . in the Hood

L to R: Jacki, Kim, Sister Latimer ?, Ruth

?, Eva

Girls Camp 1972 . . . I am posting all the pictures I have. No, your eyes aren't going bad -- some of them are blurry. In our small branch, we didn't have all the amenities that so many girls enjoy today. We were out communing with nature, for sure. After talking with Ruth last month at our Girls Night In with Tracy, I have come to learn that there are definitely two sides to every story. So, please fill in the holes of my memory. (Ruth, why don't you post us sometime and clue us in on your brief stay in Glasgow and how you achieved such a high level of coolness?) And why were "bunny ears" such a thing back then?

I only remember two summer camps. The first one was just a fun camp out or girls get-away. The second one, this one, we were actually expected to learn something! Hmmm . . . did we? The hike was memorable, tho. They said it was supposed to be a 7 mile hike. One way? I'm sure it must have been.

The following is an actual written account:

"At camp there was a skunk wandering around inside our tent when we were asleep. I about died. June was awake, and I woke up when it tried to get out of the tent. It wanted Edith's box of Chippos, Doritos, Potato Chips, and Cracker Jacks. It came back the second night, too. We didn't have any floor on our tent either! At least it didn't spray us."


Patti's Pancakes -- Just how I like 'em


I don't even remember where we camped. That must be Sis Lamb braving the cold.


Ruth and Jacki doing what they do best. Singing? Not sure. Entertaining? Yes!


OK -- so this is how I recollect it. When I found out that the missionary singing group in our Mission, The Family Album Singers, was scheduled to perform in Glasgow when we were at camp, I said, "I'm not going to miss them by going to camp. No way!" Well, for whatever reason, it was arranged that we could travel to this little location somewhat close to our camp area to hear them perform. "OK fine."

Interestingly, years later on one of the BYU weekend dances, I actually danced with one of these missionaries. I never forget a face. Of course I was forgettable -- just another twittering teenager.


Could this picture have been taken at the end of our rendezvous with nature?

I'm glad there are women who actually enjoy being a YW leader for camp. In one of our Stakes, the ladies rushed to sign up. I was a camp director one year, eons ago . . . not my bag (or in other words, I didn't care for it.)

5 comments:

Emily said...

That cracks me up that you wanted to leave girls camp to hear a missionary singing group!!! That is so funny. You must have had some good looking missionaries in your district. :)

Kaymee said...

You sure liked yellow huh?? mom :) I think that is something Jenna would notice and say too!

Kim said...

I added another yellow coat picture.

Don't know which camp year we heard those singers, but I know it happened because I am not assertive by nature--especially back then. Although I have shown a stubborn streak now and then.

Short Stories by Ruth said...

oh how funny are those pictures. Ok I promise next week I will dig out the Glasgow pictures. The mystery person in the pictures was my friend visiting from California, Karen Miller. I had forgotten that she visited us. Check out my hair!! I believe that was the longest it has ever been or would ever get.

Nice job Kim! I miss Jacki!!! wish she would call me :(

Kim said...

Promises ... Promises. I've heard that one before!!! I'll believe it when I see it. :) Jacki's b-day is in a few weeks. She is supposed to update me. Stay tuned.

So Ruth, were you the one who pulled the prank of the "gum". Not me -- It takes me 3 days to come up with stuff and then camp would have been over.