If spring is the time when young men's thoughts turn to things girls have been thinking all year long . . . then what happens in June. Weddings!If you could do it all over again, what would you change about the what -- where -- when of your wedding festivities. What things would you keep, add or delete? Notice I did not make mention of the "who" standing next to you. Everyone is happy on their Big Day right? If you have forgotten, then drag out those pictures. If you don't have any, then there is Item Number One.
I was reminded of this topic from another blog that I stalk. So, when we went out to dinner this past weekend, I posed the question to Cate. Needing a little more think time, he said -- Nothing much I guess. Knowing I have given this a lot of thought, I told him he had all evening. Egads, no . . . he knew he better come up with something -- and quick -- to circumvent a long, drawn- out convo.
"Well, I would have had a real photographer" Bingo!! We were given a recommendation of a man in the ward "who does that".
"I would have picked a different hotel." Amen. I think it was called the Golden Key, or something like that.
"I would have picked a different wedding date, so we could have gone on a honeymoon." Ditto. We have always been too tired or too broke after the holidays to do much for our Anniversary. I have always said we need to change it from January 5 to June 5. We just might start next year.
Our food that day was really good, though. The brunch in St. George. The reception food, too. My m.i.l. said people in Las Vegas expect food at a reception, so we did have a good caterer.
You can probably guess what I placed emphasis on for my children's weddings. Kaymee's engagement pictures turned out so nice, she sent out four different poses. I told Clay that if our boys needed any help with a honeymoon, we would offer. Both kids got married the first weekend in May with beautiful outdoor receptions.
Of course, there are always some overlooked details. Devin got a phone call from Morgan the morning of the wedding saying she couldn't find her birth certificate which they needed for their cruise. Luckily she had been born in Las Vegas, so I told her she could go to the Health District and get another one. Whew! And mothers (or m.i.ls) check to make sure there is a cake knife. That was forgotten. Ended up using like a butcher knife from the caterer. Yep.
Oh, I almost forgot . . . bring along an alarm clock. Because we traveled early in the morning to St. George, we were plenty tired in the afternoon. After a few wedding preparations, we took a nap at the hotel. Cate woke up later and said, "Are we supposed to be somewhere?" Barely made it to the open house before the guests came. Slap on some more makeup and call it good. Maybe that's why the pictures weren't good -- and not because of the photographer. Hmmm. Ya think?
2 comments:
Thanks for sharing some of your memories! Our wedding was pretty low-key; we didn't have a lot of money. We weren't even going to have a reception, but my oldest sister insisted so she paid for the whole thing, which was at a church. It was a Christmas theme, so that was really nice. So I guess I wish we had a little more money so we could have gone on a nice honeymoon and not had my sister pay for our reception. We just hit Salt Lake for the weekend and that was it. And professional photographer would've been nice too, but everything was still nice considering!
Heather, that was so generous of your sister to provide you with some beautiful memories. Because you appreciated it, I'm sure she was more than happy to do it. I find that the value of money is based on the smiles it can bring to others. You can always start planning for a second honeymoon.
Some people opt out for $ from their parents. It's all good.
Post a Comment