Monday, June 8, 2009

Johnny Come Lately

"I'm late. I'm late . . . for a very important date. No time to say GoodBye, Hello . . . I'm late, I'm late, I'm late!"

Are you? An on-timer or a late-timer? No one will judge you or even expect you to change. Really. As an on-timer, I really am just curious as to what is happening that hour before you need to be somewhere? (Said in a very casual, breezy, matter-of-fact tone of voice.)

Cate and I are always on time or early, when it is within our control. We are at church by 15 minutes til. You know -- to maintain your pew position. Which reminds me. Even though we started out early enough to go to Tracy's son's Farewell, we got stuck in construction traffic (since when is there road work happening on a Sunday in UT?) and I wasn't sure we would get there before it started. We did, but too close for my comfort.

Once when we actually were late to a social, we ended up being early because we had the time wrong--hadn't started yet. Or was that because of Mormon Standard Time. BTW . . . where did the idea of MST come from? In our little Glasgow Branch, church started at 10:00. Because so many people came by 10:10, they actually changed the starting time to 10:10. Seriously! I wouldn't lie. Later they changed it back because . . . you know why . . . people came at 10:20.

On-timers just learn how to judge their time and expectations when interacting with late-timers. But inquiring minds (o.k. -- me) want to know the workings of your mind . . . (have you noticed I am a fan of triple dots?)

8 comments:

Dave said...

I like to be fashionably late!

Dene said...

I generally like to get somewhere early. But, having said that. . . we have such a small branch that I learned if I walk in too early I will have to say the opening or closing prayer every week. After about a month I caught on and started to hang back every once in a while.
But I have been known to show up early for wedding - Whitney and I dashed off to the church for a friend's wedding and couldn't find anyone. When we looked at the invitation we were early - by a week.

Kim said...

Dene, you make me LOL. And Dave C? you always look good doing it.

Our sunday school teacher has made it known that he calls on the people on the back row to read the scriptures. The thing is--there will always be a back row.

I also forgot the category of Just-in-timer. As long as you swing one leg in the door before a meeting starts, it's all good, right?

Anonymous said...

Well Sis, coming from a chroniclly late person, let me tell you that there are lots of reasons to be late. First and foremost, I try to cram too much into my time, If I have 15 min., I try to cram in an extra 10 min. worth of stuff. I am not very organized, I try to grab a few extra min. sleep, Or I just plain old don't care if I am on time or not. As for Church, I adopted a survival pattern for a hostile, mean, ward that I was in. Come in late and leave early and you don't have to talk to anyone.

Emily said...

I truly have a desire to always be on time-but it doesn't always happen. I remember watching Oprah and she basically said that being late is rude. It shows others that you think your time is more important then theirs. I try to keep that in mind--but I don't mean to be rude.

Kim said...

Who knows what I would be if I wasn't married to an On-timer. I only get very agitated when other people are waiting on me.

Tana--can you hear church talks in the mother's lounge? Maybe you can hang out there -- and bring some snacks, too.

Emily--no one will ever think of you as being rude. You're just so darn cute. I want you to answer ALL my phone calls with that voice of sunshine.

Other than Dene's true comment, I have been trying to think of times when being tardy would be helpful. What are some things you wouldn't want to be late for? How about when the good Lord was handing out good looks and brains -- OOPS, too late! I must been chit chatting with my neighbor and missed my turn.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Sis don't need the Mother's lounge anymore 'cause I am in a great ward now.Great idea though! Now I just have to speed up! I need to sleep less and move faster.

Emily said...

Kim, you are the sweetest!