Monday, April 6, 2009

Hyperglycemic Heaven

What are your guilty pleasures, your secret cache of goodies, or something you just might indulge in a little too much. But then, is there ever really too much of a good thing?



My countdown of addictions:

Kendall had a bag of these in his room -- every time I walked by I would grab a couple (2 or 3?). My tip for putting some of his socks away. Finally he just told me to take them if that is what I was going to do.



Do any of you have problem taking pills -- tablets? Even when I buy the petite size of calcium supplements, I have to psyche myself out to swallow them. Quite by accident, I found that if I eat a whopper before each pill, they go down much easier.





Nibs covers the whole family of licorice -- I like them all. Red, black, brown.

Did you also know that eating licorice when driving will help to keep you awake? That's my story and I'm sticking to it.



Last week when I went to Kaymee's house, the first thing Jenna said was "Grandma, we have black jelly beans." I promptly went over to the butler's pantry where they keep their "sugar" and grabbed my first handful.



Cinnamon bears and Hot Tamales are so hard to resist.










An open box is an empty box!









And the winner is . . . Kaymee usually gives a stash of candy for our birthdays. I finally told her, in an attempt to cut back on sugar, to just give me one of any of the above.




Now a different category:

Chilis Chocolate Molten cake -- sends me out into orbit





I'm not an ice cream fan, but if the mood strikes me, I go for this treat. Silly, but I have only tried one flavor and it's not even on the menu anymore -- some turtle carmel concoction. So we have to ask for it. I guess I need to try a few other flavors.




Now with Easter coming up -- more candy! Does it never end? But I do enjoy a Peep or two. Like them when they are just a little bit hard.




You can see that I'm not necessarily a chocoholic, but if I get a box of See's creams, there is no self discipline whatsoever. Cate can have candy in his drawer for months before it's gone -- luckily his kind doesn't tempt me. Am I the only one who thinks, "I've got to eat this stuff and get it out of the house . . . the sooner the better!" Would never think of just throwing it in the trash.



However, my real Achilles heel is bread -- more particularly my daughter's dinner rolls. If no one was watching and I could handle the guilt, I could easily eat at least half a dozen in one sitting. TDF!! (to die for) Bread is a real dessert for me, and I refuse to waste a good roll with margarine, either. Butter only in this house.

Next week: Are you a creature of habit?

2 comments:

Dene said...

Kim, seems like we could be twins. Twizzlers, Hot Tamales and Dots are my candies of choice at the movies, with my popcorn, of course. I always get the Orange Slice candy for my mother-in-law, but then I have to help her eat it. Had my first Chili's Chocolate Molten cake about two weeks ago. Thought my friend I was with would share, but no - said it was all her's. Of course, she's tiny and could eat the whole thing. It was okay, but WAY TOO MUCH, even for me.
While at Ricks, whenever I had to do the grocery shopping I would "reward" myself with a Snowball, you know, with the cake, icing, marshmallow and coconut. And what a bargain, they come two in a pack! One year Sister Rahlf sent me some of her fudge, you remember, the kind you eat with a spoon. I may have let my roommates taste it, but I have a distinct recollection of it being in my closet with the spoon, so I probably didn't share much. Jacki, it wasn't the year we were roommate, because you know I would have shared with you.
Cinnamon rolls have always been a weakness for me. And I do love chocolate. Used to think if I didn't get my "favorites" like Snickers or Reeses, then whatever I ate couldn't be bad for me. Now I just like them all, except I could pass on dark chocolate.

Kim said...

I always share a dessert when we go out--a little goes along way, now. My second year at Ricks, my roommates would make some choc chip dough and put it in a 9x13 pan. And we would eat the whole thing late at night--you know on those dateless evenings:) Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out where the extra pounds came from.

Not a fan of dark chocolate--and it is the only one supposedly good for you!