Monday, April 20, 2009

Creatures of Habit

Are you a creature of habit or maybe a little OCD?

Are we talking about good or bad habits? Either. The first thing that came to mind was the Baldwin's church pew. No, not pee-yew. It started when Clayton was a Bishop. We claimed the third row, center section, for our family, so the kids could see their Dad and he could see them. What difference does that make? It's not like he could do anything about their doings. (Truthfully, my children were very well behaved in Sacrament meetings. Also, they would take turns sitting up behind him during the meeting, so I would only have three to keep an eye on.)

As our family has grown and is no longer with us in church, we have moved to the end of that third row. After a family with 5 kids moved in, we bumped back a row instead of sharing. I keep saying when we leave, we will auction off our pew to the highest bidder or have a nameplate put on it that says "In memory of the Baldwin family." There are quite a few dynamics involved in maintaining your pew position.

Every morning after returning from the gym, I take my breakfast up to the computer room and eat it while reading my email. That is not a good habit because I can get stuck there awhile . . . When I go to the gym, I started handing my ID card to the girl a certain way so she doesn't have to turn it to scan it -- I'm just being nice and efficient . . . Every other day I get a Wendy's salad and split it into two servings -- 'cause I really don't like fixing salads for myself . . . When it's within our control, Cate and I are typically on time or early to events . . . My one good habit is to always compliment people on something and everything about them.

Next week: What are some words that you detest using (and not swear words). Words that just don't feel good in your mouth or spit out well. If you give me notice, I will come up with some story using them.

No comments: