. . . that today is Broadway Hair Day? In 1968 the musical "Hair" premiered on Broadway as a controversial rock musical play. It had been performed previously off Broadway (premiering October 17, 1967).
Have you ever been to a Broadway play? Or a Rock concert? O.K., maybe your child's school play?
In honor of "Hair" day, or maybe it should be "Hairspray" . . . Tana and Dene can you shed some light on this picture and these do's? Why so serious. Were you afraid to move your head?
Remember these hair dryers? We felt like an astronaut or a vacuum cleaner sitting under them frying our hair dry. Lucky people like Jacki and Tracy always looked gorgeous in their long straight hair. With my wavy hair, I was always two steps behind the fashion. Just as I figured it all out, it changed. When I had bangs, they waved hello instead of maintaining a straight face.
Did you ever sleep on those humongous hard plastic, purple magnetic rollers the size of juice cans? How is that even possible? But we did it. All to be cool . . . and then I still wasn't.
Yay for electric rollers. This was my hairdo for a dance my Freshman year at Ricks. You put your hair in a ponytail on top of your head, and then section it and curl it with hot rollers. After cooling . . . take curlers out, bend over and shake it loose. Walaa. (don't you just love that smiley flower poster on the bathroom wall?)Men have it so easy . . . bald, buzz, or comb-over.

4 comments:
As I remember it, this was a homecoming dance. Yes, we had dates. Tana was dating one of those twin guys and the only thing I can tell you about my date, his name was Henry. It was our one and only date, we just went to keep Tana and her guy company. Don't we look fetching? The dance was at Southside School, so we walked with our dates over the dike from Baileys. I really had short hair and I paid good money to make it look like that. Good times for sure.
Dene, you were right. I have the picture where we were actually with our dates. Thank you so much for going to that dance with us. I was so absolutely smitten with Kerry Strom! I had had a crush on the Strom twins for ages! When he went on to greener pastures a short while later I thought I would die of a broken heart. Boy teenage girls can be so stupid! As for why we weren't smiling, I didn't smile in hardly any pictures because my teeth were so crooked. Then I didn't smile because I had braces. Now I smile a lot even if it gives me smile wrinkles! Tana
Why is it that girls fall so easily "in like" and boys fall so easily "out of like". And they call girls fickle.
On the question of entertainment . . . In NY we saw Les Miserables--loved it!! In LA we saw Wicked (wicked witch of OZ)--great!!
Never have been to a "rock" concert. Saw Bread at BYU--woohoo, my wild side! Have enjoyed the plays at the Shakespearean Festival in Cedar City. (I don't go to the real Shakespeare ones, tho--too hard to understand the mumbo jumbo.) That reminds me of a 7:00 AM ENGLISH class I took at Ricks -- reading Shakespeare. What was I thinking!!! I missed half the classes and when I got a C, I shouted--Hallelujah, Praise the Lord, and Amen!!
My most favorite plays have been the ones that Kaymee was in ... as Sandy in Grease, and two community ones--Brigadoon and Saturdays Warrior. She has a trained voice, so rich and mellow, like Faith Hill.
Have never been to New York, but have always wanted to go. Anyone want to join me? Whitney was in drama when she was a Freshman and Sophomore. They performed Grease and The Music Man. Whitney was wonderful in the chorus - and I'm not prejudiced. One note of interest, the girl that played the lead in both plays, Ashley Brown, was Mary Poppins on Broadway and is wonderful. Whitney and I have had season tickets for the Broadway series that comes to Pensacola every year. Now that Whitney has moved, I still go, but have joined other friends.
As far as rock concerts, do The Osmonds count? I have seen them in Minneapolis (2 times) and in Lubbock, Texas (front row seats). While at Ricks I went on a date to the Bachman Turner Overdrive concert in Pocatello. I was so clueless, didn't know who they were, just knew it was very loud and there was a strange odor.
Which leads to one other story - before the judge I work with was a judge, he was a prosecutor in the State Attorney's Office, and Barry was one of his investigators. The Judge, his wife, Barry and I went to a Charlie Daniels' concert in Mobile, Alabama. The guys went to get us some snacks before the concert and when they returned they found us girls passing what we thought was a very small "cigarette" butt to the people on either side of us. Of course our husbands couldn't believe their eyes, but neither of us girls had any idea we were handling marijuana. That's our story, and we're sticking to it.
And Tana, if you have pictures of us with our homecoming dates, I would love to see them.
Post a Comment