
. . . that today is Harry Potter the Movie Day? In 2001, the first Harry Potter movie, "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone," premiered on movie screens in Great Britain. Eleven days later, it premiered on USA screens nationwide on November 16. The movie set a new three-day opening weekend record. You may have heard the rest of the story . . .
As of June 2008, the book series has sold more than 400 million copies and has been translated into 67 languages, and the last four books have consecutively set records as the fastest-selling books in history. The seventh book The Deathly Hallows will be made into 2 movies, six months apart.
In books such as these, it is hard to translate it over to a movie. What to keep -- what to cut? I found the movies to be so enchanting . . . the music, the scenery, the characters . . . loved it all. However, with the progression of the dark side's influence, you could only expect the movie content to change. I look forward to the last movie with mixed emotions. Hate to see this incredible reading experience end. But wait! We can always read the books again, can't we.
I was a little late to the Harry Potter Party and didn't start reading the books until 2007 -- ten years after the first book's release -- but fell in love instantly with the characters, the plot, and Rowling's gift of storytelling. What a wonderful thing to have countries, adults and children all reading the same thing at the same time. Now that is a phenomenon! I never went to one of the midnight bookstore parties, but do have a collection of Potter limited edition watches that I acquired to give to my son.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies,just as much to stand up to our friends." -- Dumbledore
No comments:
Post a Comment