Monday, November 9, 2009

Change is Good

No, I'm not referring to Obama, and no I'm not talking about Wendy's.

In church yesterday, we had changes in the RS and YW organizations. As the second counselor in RS over Enrichment, I looked forward to the release. In fact, I emailed our President after last Sunday's lesson and told her, "I had such a huge grin on my face the whole time I was sitting up on the stand." :) Change is good.

As I was walking the church halls yesterday, I saw the young women coming out of their classroom with red eyes and their makeup smeared. Change can be a very emotional time for them when they transition to a new leadership.

Me? I'm a RS teacher . . . been there before . . . a comfortable niche. In previous convos with the Bishop, I have made it known that working in YW just isn't a good fit. Here was the convo with one of the Counselors last week in extending me a call:

What has been your favorite calling?

Cub Scout den leader. (yada, yada, yada)

That's interesting. We need a Wolf leader. This is a very unusual way to extend a calling, asking the Bishop "Can I change it?"

Well, I'm not the usual . . . Is that what you are extending to me?

No.

Why don't you tell me what you had in mind and I will pick the one I want :)

. . . Years ago I made a mental list of 5 positions I never wanted to do. Not because I couldn't or wouldn't accept them, but they just weren't a good fit. Ones I just wouldn't really enjoy: YW Camp Director -- Ward Activities committee chairman -- ??? -- Compassionate service leader -- and RS President. I've done all of them, but the last one, and no, I didn't enjoy them or they weren't a good fit. There's a very good reason I haven't had a music calling or been the RS president.

What has been your favorite church position? Were you surprised that you enjoyed it so much?

3 comments:

Heather G. said...

They've only stuck me in primary and I HATE it so much...I get night terrors, sweaty palms and excuses to skip out on church...

I guess my best calling was being a missionary for 19 months! Even though that was the hardest thing besides being a parent!

Kim said...

I hear ya. For the first I-don't-know-how-many-years, I was in Primary. To date, I have done every position except Achievement days leader and chorister (for obvious reasons). Even though I DO like Primary, I'm really only good as a teacher for 6 months before I get antsy.

Yes, Parenting is a life-long challenging, fun, tiring, rewarding, pull-your-hair-out calling. Old age would be awful without the children, though!

Dene said...

Being RS President was very intimidating for me, but I had the best counselors. My hardest calling was YW president, by myself, no counselors, no other adult and three girls. They were sweet girls, but it was hard to be creative and exciting and fresh every Sunday and Wednesday for a year.
Now I'm a RS teacher, once a month and work in the nursery twice a month. I must say, I enjoy this position the best. Don't know how much everybody else learns, but it is certainly a learning experience for me.