Monday, September 28, 2009

Back to School Days

What teacher has had a great influence on you OR you remember because . . .?

I'm pathetic because my memory recall is usually limited to pictures and the written word. Probably because I am a White personality and barely remember even being in school. There were a few that I have memories of. (Is there a rule about ending a sentence with a preposition?)

(some names omitted)

Third Grade (unmarried, plain, female mustache): I was selected to be Cinderella in a classroom play. My little boyfriend was to be the Prince. When I heard him talking to some friends that he was going to kiss me in the play, I promptly declined the role.

Fourth Grade: very homely, wore sandals 24-7 exposing her deep, cracked, dry heels.

Fifth Grade: Mrs. Morrison -- tall, very beautiful, long painted fingernails, always wore a charm bracelet that jingled when she wrote on the chalkboard, read to us after lunchtime.

Sixth Grade: Mrs. Funk, ancient -- My father had her and I had her the last year before retiring. I was a top speller, and she also asked me to help out because of my nice penmanship.

Seventh Grade: Mr. Monson used the wooden paddle to execute discipline on the rears of the "rowdys". That's unheard of today!!

HS Home Ec (unmarried spinster who I could tell many a story about) Our unmarried history teacher was invited to join us for a luncheon of our culinary endeavors. He sat next to me at the table; and in the course of laughing while drinking some punch, I totally snorted the drink out of my nose. Eek! Good times.

HS Typing (another unmarried woman, appeared very frail. Looked old, but didn't everyone look old in the 70's?) In class a student started coughing. She invited them to leave and go get a drink. When they were gone, she got out the Lysol and started spraying all around their desk area. I just laughed inside.

HS teacher, I can't remember her name: Asked if I would enter the Junior Miss pageant. I did and it was a major turning point in my life and my self esteem.

RICKS College Selection and Care class: I learned about the concept of the four color seasons for clothing -- changed my world forever.

RICKS CDFR (child development and family relations) Mr. McBride: complimented me on my long eyelashes, twice. No worries.

RICKS English teacher: Was very encouraging of my writings. (I know you can't tell now.)

"A cross-eyed teacher can keep twice the number of children in order than any other, because the pupils do not know who she's looking at."

Okay . . . something a little more inspirational:

The task of the excellent teacher is to stimulate "apparently ordinary" people to unusual effort. The tough problem is not in identifying winners: it is in making winners out of ordinary people. ~K. Patricia Cross

7 comments:

Emily said...

Loved your memories! I think it is so funny that you can't remember their names. I need to find out what color I am. I think I'm a blue. Based on your discription of yourself, I'd say that my husband is a white too.

I have a few teacher memories..

3rd grade, Mrs. Brockelsby...I talked way too much all the time. She got mad one time and SLAMMED her hand on my desk so hard that a huge cluster of rocks on her ring flew off her ring and across the room. She was not happy. (Were these supposed to be positive things only?) She also used to say, "You have to be smart to be lazy." I say that to my kids still today.

Mr. Knight (English--8th grade and my senior year in high school) He was so cool. He'd dress up as the character in the book and stay in character the whole class time. He would bring in his guitar and sing James Taylor songs. He dressed up as Cupid for Halloween and wore a diaper over red long johns with wings and roller skates. He was awesome. I was so thrilled when he came to my high school.

Mrs. Leith--Junior Year Chemistry teacher. I was a bit of a flake in high school. Played too much, ditched too much and socialized too much. When I was about to flunk Chemistry because I ditched it too much, Mrs. Leith took time with me after school and helped me make up all my work until I got a C. That really taught me a lesson on what it meant to care and commitment. She was a smart lady and I feel bad I acted so badly. She was very forgiving.

Sorry for the huge comment!

Kim said...

Thanks Emily! You certainly have grown up a lot :) I wish I had had a teacher like Mr. Knight.

Mrs. Brockelsby probably just had a lot of internal strife of having to go thru life with that name.

BTW...I do remember names, but omitted them to protect myself :) AND I do believe your hub is a White.

Heather G. said...

Those are some great memories of school! I think i'll do this one for my Sunday post!

Emily said...

Thanks for the clarification--I need to read things better! :) I love getting comments on my comments by the way!:)

tana said...

I recognize Miss Kleppin, Mrs. Magill and Miss Trites. They are are probably all dead by now so I don't mind using names. My first grade teacher was Mrs, Irel, ok so I can't spell it. She had a perpetual cold. She would stuff her hanky or kleenex up her sleeve for easy access, and had cough drops all over the room.
I had a mad crush on my sixth grade teacher Mr. Mastin because he was so good looking.
My eith grade biology teacher was "Buggsy" Nelson that hated it when you answered a question with a question. He would throw chalk or an eraser at you if you did. He would say "The most important thing that you can learn in life is to have good judgement and common sence".
Mr, Gore was my teaacher for audio visual and he was a great boost to my self esteem. He encoraged me in persuing a degree in graphic arts. Ricks and BYU didn't have that degree back then, but it made me feel good abt. myself anyway.

Dene said...

I had Mrs. Magill, too. Remember the heels. Mrs. Billingsley for 5th grade. Remember others fondly, too, but let's jump to Jr. High and High School.
Had Mr. Nelson for 8th grade science and Biology in high school. He always talked about "some day you will need a recommendation for a job and you might call me." Well, guess what - as I was preparing my resume for a job as a court reporter and had to list references I thought of him. Called him and asked if I could use him as a reference and he said YES!! How about that. He really did remember me. Used to call me his "nemesis." Why, I'm not sure, but I really did like him.
Like Tana, I loved Mr. Gore. He seemed to really trust us in AV and entrusted us with so much responsibility. Let us be independent.
At Ricks, my branch president was awesome. Tana will remember President Bond. He taught in the science department and I don't think I ever took a class from him, but I did spend a lot of time in his office. I'd study up there and answer his phone and cry on his shoulder. I remember one conversation we had where I was upset because I was everybody's (guys in particular) friend, but not anybody's girlfriend. He assured me that those guys would remember me long after they had moved on from their current girlfriend. That was nice of him to say that, but it's not really true - as I learned 34 years later. I'll save that story for another post.

Kim said...

Dene, thanks for the trip. I remember Mr. Nelson -- very handsome, made Biology worth it.

One of my HS English teachers who favored my writing was Mr. Simonson (also the yearbook advisor). We had a term of endearment for him based on his ample backside.

You know, talking about these memories makes me feel good ...

??? Now I am way curious as to the mystery man who forgot to remember you!!!