In the event of a fire, what would you grab to take with you--other than family?On the first night of our family vacation to BYU's Aspen Grove Family Camp, we were awakened out of a dead sleep (o.k. everyone but me) at 5:27 a.m. by a deafening fire alarm and flashing lights in our room. My first thought was did they go over this in the orientation we missed when we arrived? Surely, they don't do fire drills at this time of the morning? I didn't take the whole thing seriously. I thought should I go out in my pj's or put on my jeans -- opted for the jeans.
Here's the thing . . . when we got out of our room, we met Devin and Morgan coming out of their room, and Morgan had a diaper bag, camera, driver's license and credit card. Me? Nothing! I didn't even grab my purse. How clueless is that?! I think we were the last ones out on our floor.
So I got to thinking about what I would grab if there was a fire in my home. Definitely my purse. I would also take the two remaining memory books of my boys. Pictures are invaluable, and I spent so much time on those darn books. Then, I thought where should these valuables be kept? Downstairs for easy access on leaving the house? But, wait, what if the fire is downstairs and you have to go out your window? So, they should be on the floor wherever you sleep, right? And one more thing . . . because we do park our cars in the garage, I'm going to back my car out if I have time.
When Jenna found out it was a fire drill, she said, "Oh, I have to get baby Puppy." And of course her favorite blanket. When was the last time you practiced a fire drill?
5 comments:
I would have to agree scrapbooks and movies of my kids! I never really thought about my purse before...so thanks. I thought the last time we practiced a fire drill was only 1 yr ago...but upon further reflection I think we are close to the 2 yr mark...time to do another one!
Hmmm, I don't think I've ever done one...
So you were here in Eagle Mountain this weekend? Where does your sister live here in EM? I'm in the Ranches area in a townhome!
My mother always encouraged us to have all our clothes for the next day ready to go and within close reach, shoes, socks and all. She said if there was a fire or another emergency we could grab our clothes and go. She continued to follow that advice (that she got from her own father, my grandpa) throughout her life.
My purse is ready and, if I can remember to get it, I have a notebook with all our important numbers, insurance and contacts written in it. I'd like to say I have all my pictures scanned and would just need to grab my computer, but I'm not that good.
I've tagged you in a meme! Check it out when you get the chance! hope you have a lovely day!
http://gofita.blogspot.com/2009/09/abc-meme.html
Dene: So that is the underlying reason why I leave my clothes laying about at night -- or at least I like that excuse better.
I just remembered I would HAVE to grab my 8 journals from my college days. They are priceless (to me). I haven't transferred them to another source because I want to keep my handwriting. So, let's see -- my hands are full now. I guess some one else will have to grab the 72 hour kits.
Post a Comment