Monday, August 17, 2009

One Word

What's one word that describes your yesterday?

Grateful. Yesterday was Kaymee's birthday. To say she is a blessing in our lives would be an understatement. As my only daughter she is the complete package of beauty, intellect, talent, personality, and goodness. Everything is always more fun when she is a part of it. Words that describe her are fun, funny, friendly, energetic, sweet, caring, affectionate, creative, obedient . . .

I was grateful to not have to cook dinner yesterday as Kaymee had dinner at her home for family and friends. She always has such good food, too. (I am also grateful Derek and Kendall graced us with their presence.) My married children chose their spouses well, and I'm grateful for Kaymee's husband Brian who is a very talented, exemplary man, adding a lot of spice to our conversations. (He is already making decorations for a HUGE Halloween spectacular at their home.)

As we sat around talking after dinner amidst the kids running amuck, I thought life is good . . .

One fun memory of Kaymee: Because she was always the social events planner when growing up, I learned to just ask what my assignment was. Once during grade school she said she was going to have a "show" at our house and asked me to have cookies for the kids. I wasn't quite sure what she was talking about and actually forgot about it.

I was usually always home when the kids got home from school, but this particular time I didn't arrive until later. I pull up to see the neighborhood kids sitting on our driveway on our van car seats that had been in the garage. Kaymee and her friend had brought out the boom box (you remember those, right?) and were performing songs and dances for the crowd. In between each number she would lower the garage door for effect. Such a simple, fun entertainment idea for an afternoon. And her mother didn't even remember the cookies!

3 comments:

Kaymee said...

Thanks mom! It was actually a great bday weekend!! I really really appreciate you taking the boys overnight!! the sleep and freedom was perfect! Last night Cody didn't fall asleep til 3am!!! what the???? then Matthew woke up at 3:30 :(

Heather G. said...

So sweet! I need to remember to be grateful as well!

Heather G. said...

Kim, I have another award for you! Check out my blog when you get a chance!

http://gofita.blogspot.com/2009/08/dreaded-zombie-chicken-award.html