Monday, February 2, 2009

Playing Hard to Get


How did you meet your now spouse? Was it love at first sight -- playing hard to get -- or friends first?

If there is more than one person, there are two sides to every story. Clayton would have you believe I was playing hard to get -- so not true. Why should I give him a second nod if it is so obvious he has a girlfriend?

At BYU we lived in adjacent apartment complexes sharing a common parking lot for 8 months, but never met until our branch boundaries were realigned. Timing. I noticed his roommate first, but Clay's character was very apparent. After ignoring his several attempts, I accepted an afternoon date of gun shooting. Different . . . but, o.k. Still gave me time to get back for my other date that evening (barely). A good thing this date was first because I could have liked guy #2. Timing. You know the rest of the story . . .

My Hubman has yet to ever leave any dirty clothes laying (lying?) on the floor -- I hang mine up in the morning. He's very disciplined and has his morning routine -- every day starts different for me. I like to party -- he is asleep on the couch by 9:30 (sometimes 9:00:). He is a natural athlete -- I am a natural spectator (we were both very verbal, however, when watching our children's sports.) Our common ground is our personalities -- patient, tolerant, accepting. It works!

Next week's Monday Musing: Do you make New Year's resolutions? How's that working for you? What are some things on your "bucket list"?

3 comments:

Short Stories by Ruth said...

I was married for a brief time in the late 80's. Yucky story. But I met my current husband while dancing with my THEN boyfriend. My friend was dancing with him and danced up to us and introduced us.

We went out about a month later, I broke up with my boyfriend and we were engaged about 3 months after that.

I knew on our first date I was going to marry him and that freaked me out because I vowed to never marry again and was having too much fun. Oh well, even the best layed plans go astray!!!

We've been married now 8years.

Kim said...

Ruth ... life isn't always wrapped up in a neat package with a pretty little bow, is it? I'm glad you had a second chance at love--quite often it pops up when you least expect it ... good things happen when you dance!

Kim said...

This picture I added was taken at a ward Valentines party/dance (1994) -- you can't tell but we were dressed up 50's style. Great fun! These were some of our "Camelot" years.