Monday, December 22, 2008

Screech, Crunch, Kap@w

I had my first and hopefully my last. Last week (on George's birthday) I was in a car accident at 5:30 pm. Cruising through an intersection on a totally green light, not chartreuse, all was clear. I did tap my brakes wondering if the car in the oncoming turning lane was going to stop. She didn't. I don't think I let out any expletives on impact, but thought "oh, crap, there goes my perfect no-accident record".

I turned to my right, and luckily for me there wasn't a car in sight in the middle lane of stopped cars. The other driver, with her daughter in the passenger seat, was lucky I wasn't driving in the left lane or I would have T-boned her big time. I was probably going 45-50 mph . . . whatever 5 miles over the speed limit was. She was cited for failure to yield, and my car was towed away. Over the last year and a half, we have gone back and forth thinking about getting me a new car. Does this look like $8,700 of damage?

It could have been worse. Take a look at this accident scene.



















That should buff right out.

This is a one-car crash. An Audi RS6 traveling at about eleventy (?how fast is that?) miles an hour when it left the road. The driver, holding the cell phone, walked away unhurt. A passenger would not have been so lucky. Apparently, he says wheels got light and he lost control. Well, duh!

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!

1 comment:

Kim said...

I got my car back from the shop. Repairs + car rental = $9,900. The other car's insurance coverage was $10,000.