Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I'm Dreaming . . .

. . . of a white Christmas, just like the ones I used to know.

It snowed in Las Vegas yesterday! Does that mean it was wickedly cold in your neighborhood? When I talked to my mother on Sunday, she said with the wind chill factor it was 40 degrees below. Shidder, shudder, shiver – Brrr!! I remember those Montana winters. In looking back I don’t know how my father got up every morning to feed those cows. Now that I have been a desert rat my entire married life, I don’t miss the cold and blow. We have Mt. Charleston 45 minutes away and Brianhead ski resort 3 hours from us where can enjoy the snow and skiing . . . and leave it there. I’ve said I won’t go back to cold winters without some kicking and screaming. I love the winters here -- they almost make you feel guilty for enjoying them so much.

Who says Las Vegas doesn’t have the four seasons? This year we had a long spring, usual summer, beautiful fall weather, and now a winter wonderland. I spent most of yesterday at home getting ready for a family party, and it was very peaceful looking out my window at the snow falling gently while listening to good ol’ Bing Crosby.
(sorry for the blurriness -- it's still better than nothing) When the Milk River by my house froze over we would use it for skating and for playing Fox and Geese -- a circle tag game on ice skates. Pictured is Dave and Patti Latimer and Tracy Aurich. When I was younger my father would saddle up the horse and take us down to the frozen river. He would tie one end of a rope to a round saucer sled and the other end to the saddle horn and pull us behind our horse, Sunny. How fun is that? Memories are a real blessing!

Dale is smiling because he is still standing up!

1 comment:

Dale said...

I do remember that day. I think we spent hours cleaning off the snow and we were so tired we didn't have any energy to skate. Now I have a photo to go along with that memory. Thank you again.