Hosting Fun Monday is Ari @ Prawn of Fate. Today's question? What is the most beautiful sound in the whole world? Once you've told us that, give us the flip side, too: What is the sound you dislike the most?
I absolutely love the sound of a heavy rainstorm from the soft pitter pats to the steady, heavy pounding accented with moments of crackling thunder and lightening flashes . . . Heaven taking a day off to enjoy a game of bowling. I feel connected to nature and yet safe on my couch, curled up with a book. Better yet? Dancing in the streets during a warm summer soak.
There are two very soothing sounds that remind me of my home in Montana.
Until I went back a few years ago, I didn't realize how comforting the sound of a train whistle can be in the night. I had forgotten. A couple nights ago when I was going upstairs, I heard the sound of a distant train. In Las Vegas? My Hub said, "Not likely. The nearest train is about 7 miles away. Must have been someone's car." Hmmm . . . it took me back.
I flashback every time I hear the soft cooing of a Mourning Dove. The only bird song more endearing is the Meadowlark, which isn't common here. My mother was told it was singing, "Betty is a pretty little girl."What sound do I dislike the most?
You mean besides hearing someone complain? Hearing the phone ring in the middle of the night -- never a good thing!
9 comments:
Amazing that our "sounds are similar."
For many years, I had "Would you like some cheese and crackers with your whine" on my refrigerator.
AND, I agree. The phone ringing in the middle of the night puts me on the ceiling !
I like to listen to the rythmn of the pouring rain! (go ahead finish the song...hehe) It gives me a cozy feeling when I am safe, warm n dry watching the rain hit the windows. Something about the sound of a train whistle in the middle of the night, to me its a lonely sound. Yep I also hate the phone to ring in the middle of the nite...to be awakened out of a slumber is bad enough, but the first thing you think is that its bad news.
I too love all your favorite sounds, Kim. A soft rain or hard driving thunderstorm is wonderful weather in my book. I too grew up near the railroad. The sound of the train whistles in the night was like an invitation to adventure in faraway places.
BTW, I noticed you enjoy historical fiction and are a "hopeless romantic".:-) You've probably read the Diana Gabaldon "Outlander" series? I just finished them back in the fall and am now in the middle of Sara Donati's "Into the Wilderness" series. Highly recommend.
I love most of the sound of a thunderstorm too. And, of course. complaining is not a good sound. I hope that your day is complaint-free.
I love the sound of rain so much that when I had to replce my roof, I chose a metal roof to hear the rain better!
I love laying in bed and listening to the rain hit the roof and the rumble of a gentle storm, especially knowing I have no where to go and my family is safe at home.
I agree that I love all of the sounds listed. After spending many years growing up and then early married life in a house trailer I'm looking forward to the sound of the rain as it falls on my motorhome.
But the sound of a baby laughing out loud has to be at the top of my list, too.
My childhood bedroom was next to the fiberglass carport. I loved the sound of rain hitting that roof! The acorns in the fall? Not quite so relaxing - more like firearms!
@Swampy: I used to have a sign in my home that said, "Thou Shalt Not Whine" Near as I could tell, no one ever looked at it.
@Faye: I read the first Outlander and was smitten with Jamie, but haven't read on yet. Want to, but they are such chunksters -- sometime I will. Thanks for the other recommendation. Stop by my book blog sometime...
@Molly: With the children grown, I live a complaint free life now :)
@Sayre: Fascinating! I would never have considered that in choosing a roof!
@Church lady: one of life's simple pleasures, isn't it.
@Dene: So, are you saying you are the proud owner of a motorhome, now? Where will you be going on your first adventure?
@Sandy: Look out -- incoming! LOL :)
Post a Comment