Tuesday, January 18, 2011

December to Remember -Part 1

Couldn't believe when December came. What happened to September, October and November? They just snuck by me or steamrolled over me. Nonetheless, December was here and what was I going to do about it?
Knowing that I would end up with excess leave at the end of the year, I decided to take a long weekend and visit my daughter, Whitney, in South Carolina. Flew in on Thursday night and spent Friday with Ardie, my grandpuppy.
Ardie and I spent the day with the groomer and the vet, just for a check-up and then to the mall. Saturday morning Whitney and I got up early and headed to Asheville, North Carolina. We had made plans and reservations to spend the day touring the Biltmore Estate. It was beautiful and HUGE.
I climbed up and down every step (and oh, my aching knee that night), and was just grateful I didn't have to dust and clean that place.

The weather was crisp and cool. That night we ate at the Stable Cafe. Yes, it really is a stable that has been converted into a very nice restaurant.
I had the prime rib dinner. Can I just say, oh me, oh my!! It was delicious.
After dinner we went back in the house and saw all the trees lit, with fireplaces roaring, choirs singing and dancers dancing. Whitney and I agreed that the library was our favorite room. We just wanted to get a book and curl up by the fire - but they had these velvet ropes and people blocking our way. What's up with that? We paid our money.
The next morning we awoke to a winter wonderland. Lots and lots of snow and it just kept falling. We wandered about the town, shopping, eating - why does it always come to that?

Whitney had these delicious sweet potato pancakes. Good choice. We're going back sometime just so I can get my own order of these things. As we were wandering about we kept hearing that everything was shutting down at 3:00 - another snow storm coming.
You don't have to hit us over the head twice (most of the time) - so we decided we should be pointed toward South Carolina and get while the getting was good.

Left my husband home for a few days and what did he do? Found a "deal" on a motorhome. That's why this is Part 1. Part 2 will be coming soon (or in the future).

2 comments:

Kim said...

Sounds like a fun and very relaxing weekend! Are Nashville and Asheville related? So, there was room for you at the Inn. You and Whitney are carrying some mighty big purses -- the better to buy with? Husbands...don't leave home alone. I see sunrises and sunsets in your future.

Jan n Jer said...

Wow a motor home...I see lots of road trips ahead...get your camera ready! I visited the Biltmore years ago...very impressive place!