Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Cheesy Potato Soup

It is starting to get cooler in Florida. It was actually 78 degrees last night, so I decided to make some soup. This is pretty easy, but you have to trust me and do just as I say.
Didn't get a picture of the "cast of characters" but you will need to have available some potates, a stick of butter, some milk, flour, bacon, an onion and some cheese.
Ready, here we go. Peel and cut up some potatoes. I think the recipe maybe said 3, but I like a few more potatoes. Put them in a microwave safe bowl, cover them with water and cook them in the microwave. Should take about 10 minutes or so. I have a 30 year old microwave and it seems to take a little longer than that for me. While the potatoes are cooking in the micowave go ahead and fry up some bacon. I always fry up a whole pound, because by the time everyone walks by and nibbles I may have enough for the soup.

Just love frying bacon in an old cast iron pan. Just love eating bacon. Save that bacon grease, because now you're going to take this onion. . . Chop it up. . .
And fry it in that bacon grease.
Melt a stick of butter in a large pot. . .
Add a scoop of flour - just enough. . .
To make a paste. . .

Or whatever it is that real cooks call it - but it should look about like this. Then pour in some milk, enough to make it a little thick, but soupy.
It's not an exact science, but maybe 2 1/2 cups or so.
Now comes the trust part. Remember those potatoes you covered with water and cooked in the microwave? Well, pour the potatoes and the water into the pot with the milk and butter and flour.
Come on, just do it. There that wasn't so hard was it? Give it a stir.
I really need you to trust me on this part. Have I ever steered you wrong? Don't answer that, just trust me now. Those onions that you cooked in the bacon grease - go ahead and put them in the pot now - I mean the onions and the bacon grease. I use a sloted spoon, but spoon the onions and grease in there together.
Stir it up. There you go. That wasn't so bad, was it?
Now for the cheese. I use Velveeta because it melts so nicely and has a fine texture. That kind of sounded like "it has a good beat and is easy to dance to."
Anyway, I use about a half a block of a big box of cheese, or the whole block if it's a little box of cheese. Cut it into cubes and dump it in the pot.
Then stir and stir, until the cheese is melted. Then crumble up that bacon and stir it in the soup. You might want to add some salt and pepper. Another option is to add some green onions chopped up, but I can't do that. My husband isn't a big fan of onions, so I don't add any of those. But wouldn't they look pretty with the yellow of the cheese and the red of the bacon and then little green onions.
Anyway, it is great, sticks to you stomach and now I have this BIG pot of potato soup. Come on over, or I'll have to call the neighbors.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Move on over Pioneer Woman! :)

You had me at bacon. Kudos on getting your pictures uploaded in the right order! Who knows what you would be eating if you got them mixed up. Thanks -- I'll give it a whirl.

We were having cooler weather, but it will be in the low 80's this week. I don't mind.

Kim said...

I whipped this up for dinner. Very easy and tasty. If you're like me, you won't have to worry about the calories after running up and down the stairs to my computer room to see these how-to pictures :)

Thanks! Perfect for a cold evening like tonight.