Here's the recipe and then I'll give you the instructions. 2 Pie Shells (Graham cracker or regular)
6 egg yolks
1 1/2 Cups sugar
8 Tblsp. Cornstarch
3 Cups milk
6 Tblsp. Butter
1/2 Cup + 1 Tblsp. Key Lime juice
3/4 Cup Sour Cream
Here we go - Mix the Sugar and Cornstarch together in a pot. Oops, got an extra picture in here. Guess I just wanted to remind you to make sure you have enough cornstarch before you begin. Also, this is what my bottle of Key Lime juice looks like.
Okay, now mix the sugar and cornstarch in a big pot.
Separate your eggs so they will be ready when you need them. Remember, you're only going to use the egg yolks. Then just set them aside.
Now pour the milk into the sugar/cornstarch pot.
Stir, Stir, Stir!!!
You can turn the stovetop on medium, but. . .
Put your hand in there and make sure the sugar and cornstarch are dissolved.
Yes, that's what I said, put your hand in there. Make sure there are no little pods of sugar or cornstarch.
Then again, stir, stir, stir, to keep it smooth. Be very patient, but you have to keep stirring over medium heat. I actually watched them bring up two miners in Chile while I was stirring and waiting for this to boil.
Make sure you have your pie crusts of choice ready, too. Just a note, this recipe will make two pies, unless they're deep dish crusts, then you might just put it all in one pie. Your choice.
Remember it has to come to a boil and you have to keep stirring until it does. I would stop every so often to see if there were boil bubbles coming up. (I just made that up, boil bubbles.)
When it comes to a boil, remove the pan from the heat. Spoon about a cup of the mixture into the eggs yolks and whisk them together.
Pour the egg yolk mixture back into the pan. Return the pan to the heat and cook until it comes to a boil again - then cook for one-and-a-half minutes. You know the drill: Stir, stir, stir.Pour the whole mixture into a large bowl.
Add the butter or margarine - your choice. Then stir, stir, stir quickly for butter to melt and to keep it smooth.
Now add the Key Lime juice, 1/4 cup at a time and keep. . .what. . .Stirring.
After you've stirred all the key lime juice in and it's smooth, then add the sour cream.
And do what? That's right, stir, stir, stir.
Now Kim was concerned because she thought Key Lime Pie was green, so if you want to you can add a little green food coloring. I didn't do that, but again, you have choices.
Pour it into the pie crust of your choosing. Before serving top it with Cool Whip or whip up some homemade whipped topping. I like to give you choices. And then you decide, should I share this with someone or put it in the back of the fridge where only I know it is and eat the whole thing. I forgot to take a picture of it with the whipped topping and when I thought about it - it was all gone. I shared mine (this time).
2 comments:
Move over Julia Childs or Rachel Ray. Introducing Dene Divine! Was Barry standing close by to take all these pictures or just to eat them? Thank you! The pies were divine :)
No, Barry did not take the pictures. Do you know how hard it is to stir with your left hand and
take a picture with your right hand.
Post a Comment