Monday, October 4, 2010

How do you spell Fun? DAVE


Dave ~~ After Ricks I joined the Circus, literally. Circus Vargas. Later for a few years I had my own entertainment company that specialized in big shows. Education was put on the back burner which is funny because I really liked learning.

I was offered a position to manage a sea side amusement park in Santa Cruz, CA; but for some strange reason, I took a left turn instead and joined Sunset Magazine and that became the career (magazine publishing) that I stuck with for the next 25 years. As that became a little less interesting and for the last 9 years, I've been doing lot's of weird stuff.

Best vacation?Istanbul was a stand-out and Morocco was real fun too. My best vacation is always the next vacation.

Hobbies or interests?Reading has been by one lifetime hobby. I have never been much of fiction reader but maybe that will be my next chapter in my love affair with books.
Any items still on your bucket list?Barcelona, scuba diving, maybe run for mayor!




Memories of Glasgow?
Moving to Glasgow was a big deal for us. My family had lived in only Mormon Communities in Utah and Idaho so we were steeped in inside that bubble tradition. Moving to Montana was exotic. It was right down my Dad's alley though. He has always been an outdoorsman. For me it was strange. The weather, the landscape and the culture. I had been used to being in charge of things back in my High School in Salt Lake. But, I had never been around many non-Mormons so I didn't really know how to relate. I always loved people and hoped that they would let me be myself, too. I took a lot of abuse from the guys at school in the beginning and they didn't really cut me a break, but eventually It all worked out. I had many great times and fun experiences there that have shaped my outlook.


Since we were all just blossoming from childhood to being young adults, the memories are vivid. There was an emotional component to everything. Every kiss was dynamite!! I'm so thankful that we had each other as friends!

2 comments:

Dene said...

I looked up Dave and that is how you spell FUN!!!

Kim said...

I clearly missed an opportunity to talk with you at the reunion! One of the hazards of being in charge of something. Hmmm ... what did you do in the circus? A clown? Maybe a trapeze artist. I can think of so many questions to ask. Dene says at our next gathering we should have some "speed talking" time -- like speed dating.

My memories of you are all great ones, and I was so pleased to see that you are that same warm, witty guy I knew. Until we meet again...sounds like a song, doesn't it?