. . . and Rest and Relaxation.
This past weekend, I traveled down to Mesa-Gilbert, AZ. One of my former Ricks College roommates Rita, who lives here in Las Vegas, drove us down to visit with two of our other roommates, Laurie and Denise, from my second year at Ricks (1975-76). We calculated it had been about 8 years since the four of us were together. Laurie and Denise planned a wonderful weekend of variety.The weather was rainy, but we need the rain and like the rain, and Rita and I talked non-stop the whole 5 hours to Arizona. I had asked her if she wanted me to get some audio books to listen to, but I never did get them. "You know I can talk your ear off, but then you just wouldn't look quite right in your fancy hats."
Laurie, the sweet and thoughtful person she is, met us at the hotel bearing a basket of fruit, drinks, popcorn, hot cocoa mixes, and her homemade cookies. Denise also brought over some of her favorites from Trader Joes -- jams, chocolate pretzels, and cinnamon graham crackers. We went to dinner at a Mexican restaurant, and then went back to the hotel and talked until midnight.
On Saturday morning we met at Denise's daughter's home for a birthday breakfast of Ebelskevers. Her recipe was better than Williams Sonoma. After going to the Mesa temple, Shar's Kitchen was having a free demonstration of bread making how-to's with the Bosch mill and mixer. What a treat for me as I LOVE bread, and they passed around sample after sample of different kinds and shapes. No need for dinner after that, so we went back to the hotel to wait for the concert.
The Dutton family were finalists in the TV show "America's Got Talent". The have their own hotel/restaurant/theater in Branson, Missouri, where they perform from April - December. Arizona is their new winter home and plans are underway to build a theater there also. The performance was excellent and included plenty of humor, too. But wait . . . they also sold a large variety of to-die-for fudge out in the lobby that they make. YUM -- YUM!! Such a fun evening.
In driving back to Las Vegas, I was surprised at how easily it was to talk non-stop with Rita again. She said she usually drinks a Coke or something to keep her awake, but didn't need to with me. When she said we were about an hour away from LV, I called Clay to tell him. But, when that hour came and went with no home in sight, I started asking questions. "When did we leave Mesa? Hasn't it been over an hour?"
Then I saw the sign, "12 miles to Barstow" (California) What? How did we get here? I guess we were talking so much we missed the turn off at Kingman.
When I called Clayton to tell him, I was laughing so hard. I thought it was hilarious! I looked at the gas gauge, and it was on empty, with the light on. We made it to Barstow, filled up, and came back on the I-15. "Well, I guess we have a few more things to talk about." Just a slight 3 hour detour! Glad we were that close to a gas station and it wasn't later at night. Got home at 8:30 pm. A great weekend . . .
When I called Clayton to tell him, I was laughing so hard. I thought it was hilarious! I looked at the gas gauge, and it was on empty, with the light on. We made it to Barstow, filled up, and came back on the I-15. "Well, I guess we have a few more things to talk about." Just a slight 3 hour detour! Glad we were that close to a gas station and it wasn't later at night. Got home at 8:30 pm. A great weekend . . .
I thought you were driving!
2 comments:
How fun! Your weekend just sounds heavenly. There is nothing better then chatting with old friends and eating yummy food.
I just had my first Rick's College roommate reunion for my 30th birthday. I knew I wanted to do something big and seeing my favorite roommates was #1 on my list.
That is so funny about the detour. We've actually done that before too. Now we have a GPS that keeps us from sneaking over to CA.
Love the photo at the end. :)
We went down in a rented car, no GPS. When I drew Rita's attention to the situation, she was also wondering, "where is that dam?" She didn't remember any CA signs. I said, "well, we did drive through that booth, remember? Maybe that was the CA border." :)It's something that we will laugh about for a long time.
Post a Comment