Sunday, December 5, 2010

Elf on the Shelf

I used this book as the theme for our grandchildren's Christmas sleepover this year. Even though I usually give a children's book every year, I didn't particularly like the little elf which is included with this book. So I bought a different one for each of the married children.


Elves are like clowns . . . you have to be careful or they can be down right creepy. I picked this one because it is poseable and would be easier to hang around in different locations and could be used as an ornament in the future when his services are no longer needed.

The elf in the book is a messenger from Santa to keep an eye on children and to report back to him each night on their good and bad actions. Well . . . I'm not so sure I'm on board with that. It almost sounded like tattle-telling. But that's just me. I prefer positive reinforcement whenever possible, so I made slips of paper the mothers could use to record at least one good thing their children did during the day that the Elf could use in his daily report.

Have you ever used this tradition? Did your impy Elf perform any fun, harmless pranks?

No comments: