It didn't make any news coverage, but a whirlwind of activity hit Vantage Lane a couple times over the last two weeks. It all started when Clay was tagging along on a deer hunt with a friend. He received a text saying, "RC Willey is having a sale, no tax. Found a dining table and chairs." Then a bit later, another one, "Found a leather couch I'm in love with. WooHoo!" His friend Dave said, "She wouldn't really buy something, would she?" "No. It probably just means there is something to talk about when I get home."
Well, I did buy the table and chairs (which included a very nice set of everyday white dinnerware), and when Clayton got home we were back to purchase the leather couches. Actually, it is on their layaway-like plan -- 90 days and more time if you need it. Since he isn't spontaneous, this was the only way to work it through "management". No, I don't make a habit of buying furniture without him, but I figured I was paying for it, and men don't usually have too much an opinion on the subject.
When Clayton left on his hunting trip this past week, I made a last minute drive up to Utah to get my old table and chairs thus far with the intent that someone else would take them the rest of the way to Glasgow for a family of 13. I threw in some bedding and dishes as well. A big shout out to my handy, manly son-in-law who condensed the table and chairs down and cinched everything in very nicely in the back of the truck.
I have been dejunking the house and have been on a natural "high" for this past week. I'm a perpetual dejunker anyway, but this was major. It started with my kitchen and dishes and has spread to every closet. The phrase "dust bunnies" comes no where near describing the frightening yuck under beds and dressers. Because I don't do garage sales, I sent emails out to the ward sisters letting them know what was up for grabs -- in addition to the table and chairs, I gave away 3 sets of dishes and 5 comforter sets, most of my scrapbooking supplies, plus some odds and ends.
So, what does this have to do with lime green flip flops? When Jenna was over to the house, I told her what I was doing. Without skipping a beat, she asked, "Are you throwing away your lime green flip flops?" What! I only wore them one summer, two or three years ago (she just turned 6). How does she remember them? Because she remembers everything. She even remembered a year later the outfit I was wearing when we went to dinner while at the beach. I told her, "Go look in my closet and if they are still there, we'll throw them out." They were . . . and she did.
Well, I did buy the table and chairs (which included a very nice set of everyday white dinnerware), and when Clayton got home we were back to purchase the leather couches. Actually, it is on their layaway-like plan -- 90 days and more time if you need it. Since he isn't spontaneous, this was the only way to work it through "management". No, I don't make a habit of buying furniture without him, but I figured I was paying for it, and men don't usually have too much an opinion on the subject.
When Clayton left on his hunting trip this past week, I made a last minute drive up to Utah to get my old table and chairs thus far with the intent that someone else would take them the rest of the way to Glasgow for a family of 13. I threw in some bedding and dishes as well. A big shout out to my handy, manly son-in-law who condensed the table and chairs down and cinched everything in very nicely in the back of the truck.
I have been dejunking the house and have been on a natural "high" for this past week. I'm a perpetual dejunker anyway, but this was major. It started with my kitchen and dishes and has spread to every closet. The phrase "dust bunnies" comes no where near describing the frightening yuck under beds and dressers. Because I don't do garage sales, I sent emails out to the ward sisters letting them know what was up for grabs -- in addition to the table and chairs, I gave away 3 sets of dishes and 5 comforter sets, most of my scrapbooking supplies, plus some odds and ends.
So, what does this have to do with lime green flip flops? When Jenna was over to the house, I told her what I was doing. Without skipping a beat, she asked, "Are you throwing away your lime green flip flops?" What! I only wore them one summer, two or three years ago (she just turned 6). How does she remember them? Because she remembers everything. She even remembered a year later the outfit I was wearing when we went to dinner while at the beach. I told her, "Go look in my closet and if they are still there, we'll throw them out." They were . . . and she did.
5 comments:
Your posts are so fun to read!
Our house could use some serious de-cluttering! Do you hire out?
Louise
Wow Kim, when you said that you came back from that rich person's house and said you felt like your house was dirty, you were not kidding! Your house has never been dirty, but you sure worked it over good. As Susie Orman says, "if you don't cherish it or use it, give it away, throw it away, or sell it." This will make room for even more abundance to flow in! You go girl! I love your energy. Love ya, Tana
I'm always getting rid of stuff, but there's always more to do. Maybe you should come to Florida for a decluttering seminar at my house.
That is so funny that your granddaughter remembered them as something that should be thrown out! What a great story.
I need to be bitten by the declutter bug.
I still have 5 bags for D.I.
Louise--I should hire out. Hmmm...
Tana--I had never thought of the idea of creating more room for abundance. I like that! I do think there is some universal law, though, that says empty spots (shelves) must be filled.
Dene--if that's what it takes to get me to FL, then count me in.
Emily--The declutter bug bite doesn't hurt at all.
Post a Comment