Monday, February 7, 2011

Fun Monday -- Millionairess

Molly @ Return of the White Robin is hosting Fun Monday this month . . . follow back to see other entries.



In the spirit of an early television show, The Millionaire, in which a fabulously wealthy man gave away a million dollars anonymously in every episode, imagine that you are the recipient of a large sum of money, say 10 million dollars (to account for inflation). Tell us what you would do with the gift and how would your lifestyle change.

My thoughts on money: There are two choices. You either go out and make more or you learn to live on less. I grew up in humble circumstances, but never felt that way or have ever regarded social appearances to be of the utmost significance. Don't get me wrong. I like the nicer things in life as well and do have a fair amount of discretionary income, but have found that once the necessities are provided, the only real value of money is the joy in seeing how it can benefit others.

I don't think money would change me, but I sure wouldn't mind taking the test.

1. I would pay off our mortgage and all the mortgages of my family members.

2. Set up funds for my children and grandchildren

3. Give to our Church's worldwide Perpetual Education Fund for people in underdeveloped countries.

4. Serve a Church mission

5. Travel, a little

6. Throw out the Honey-Do list and hire a Handy Man

7. Stop thinking about the thousands of dollars my Hub spends on Elk hunts

8. Enlist the help of an Interior Designer

9. Buy my dream car, with cash of course

10. Live simply

Have I spent it all yet? Probably not and thankfully for my Hub, my saturation point is reached quite rapidly when spending large amounts of money. I just feel "Ugh".

"The real measure of your wealth is how much you'd be worth if you lost all your money." ~Author Unknown

5 comments:

Molly said...

Thanks for joining us for this Fun Monday. I appreciate your itemized list. Giving through the church is always a good way to address needs of underdeveloped countries as the overhead costs are covered by the organization. Your donations then go directly to address needs.

Finally, your anonymous quote says it all.

Pamela said...

great ideas for spending my millions (:
I saw that a young woman with kids won 1/2 of the biggest lotto (both winners that split it live within a few hrs drive of me!)

Anyway.. she had been separated from her abusive husband for years but never divorced. Now he can claim 1/2 her prize. I'm sure curious as to what she will do.

Jan n Jer said...

Thats a great list...I am on the same page as you...My humble upbringing gave me a great appreciation of eveything I own. Hard work does that to a person. I never play the name brand game...if its on sale I will buy it.. but not to show off.

Sandy said...

Love your post and love the quote at the end...hope you don't mind if I steal it!

Sayre said...

I grew up in a humble home too - we probably wouldn't have had shoes if my grandmother hadn't bought them a couple of times a year. As a result, I've learned how to live on little - and I have the same reaction to spending lots of money - I could do it, but I reach my saturation point pretty quickly!